Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL?

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #11  
Ray thanks for the detailed info. I am saving it for when I do build mine.. much appreciated!

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #12  
;)
Well of course when you put it that way.... you know we have to ask : ) Tell on!

I was planning to do something similiar with my GC. I know many do it and I also know you kind of need to do it right. I was planning on putting about a 4 inch strip Rubber horse stall matt on the bottom edge of the blade. I also know you need to actually have trip springs etc. I can't see any reason not to do it if you do it right.

that's my story, and I'm stickin to it. ;)

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #13  
Okay, here are close up photo's of v2.0.

The attachment pins act as hinges, as well as making it easier to attach, and remove the plow.

I also made some forks, out of square tube, which fit in the receivers. I may make an adapter, to be able to pin the FEL bucket to it someday, to make quick swaps.

The last photo shows the blade on the ground, with one side 1.5" higher than the other. This is due to the slop built into the pivot. Without that ability, the plow may not stay in full contact, if there is a change in the pitch of the ground. It also shows the 1.5" pipe in front of the cutting edge, to keep it from digging into my gravel.

The casters I have on there, (see earlier photo), are of course, optional. They are to help keep the plow 2" above the gravel. And, not needed on a paved surface.

This is not a difficult project. Lots of of help available on TBN, if you need it.

I chose not make a plow that attaches directly to the bucket. Without beefing up the bottom of the bucket, I don't think it would hold up well. GC buckets are pretty thin on the bottom. And, the whole rig gets pretty long. In order to angle, the plow would have to be about 2' in front of the bucket.

IMG_1056.jpg IMG_1066.jpg IMG_1057.jpg IMG_1058.jpg IMG_1069.jpg

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #14  
Okay, here are close up photo's of v2.0.

The attachment pins act as hinges, as well as making it easier to attach, and remove the plow.

I also made some forks, out of square tube, which fit in the receivers. I may make an adapter, to be able to pin the FEL bucket to it someday, to make quick swaps.

The last photo shows the blade on the ground, with one side 1.5" higher than the other. This is due to the slop built into the pivot. Without that ability, the plow may not stay in full contact, if there is a change in the pitch of the ground. It also shows the 1.5" pipe in front of the cutting edge, to keep it from digging into my gravel.

The casters I have on there, (see earlier photo), are of course, optional. They are to help keep the plow 2" above the gravel. And, not needed on a paved surface.

This is not a difficult project. Lots of of help available on TBN, if you need it.

I chose not make a plow that attaches directly to the bucket. Without beefing up the bottom of the bucket, I don't think it would hold up well. GC buckets are pretty thin on the bottom. And, the whole rig gets pretty long. In order to angle, the plow would have to be about 2' in front of the bucket.

View attachment 456298 View attachment 456301 View attachment 456299 View attachment 456300 View attachment 456302

that does look like a well built plow Ray, any chance of seeing it in action?

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #15  
Even if I had a cameraman, I would need some snow. So, it's unlikely you will see it work.

Before anyone offers, no thank you. I don't want any snow. :D

When I originally built my plow, it was a test bed. I did not know if a GC would even push a 72" plow.

It worked beyond my expectations. And, v2.0 two years later, took care of any issues.

If I ever built another, I would not change anything.

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #17  
Even if I had a cameraman, I would need some snow. So, it's unlikely you will see it work.

Before anyone offers, no thank you. I don't want any snow. :D

When I originally built my plow, it was a test bed. I did not know if a GC would even push a 72" plow.

It worked beyond my expectations. And, v2.0 two years later, took care of any issues.

If I ever built another, I would not change anything.

Could you prop the camera and show us how it articulates?

I can't imagine what the angle of attack must be for the blade edge to get within reach of the ground when those guide wheels are that big.

Not naysaying, just kind of a show me kinda person...

Thanks,
Thomas

/ Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #18  
Could you prop the camera and show us how it articulates?

I can't imagine what the angle of attack must be for the blade edge to get within reach of the ground when those guide wheels are that big.

Not naysaying, just kind of a show me kinda person...

I don't know what it is you want. The front edge of blade, is on the ground in the last photo. And, the blade on the plow is the correct angle to the ground.

I designed it to work with the gauge wheels. And, it works very well. Both, with the blade on the ground. And, with the blade 2" above the ground.

The plow is hinged, so I can also lower the whole FEL frame, so that it is scrapping on the ground, behind the plow. But, I prefer not to.

Sorry, that's the best I can do for you.

Last edited:
   / Massey GC - Anyone build plows for FEL? #20  
I don't know what it is you want. The front edge of blade, is on the ground in the last photo. And, the blade on the plow is the correct angle to the ground.

I designed it to work with the gauge wheels. And, it works very well. Both, with the blade on the ground. And, with the blade 2" above the ground.

The plow is hinged, so I can also lower the whole FEL frame, so that it is scrapping on the ground, behind the plow. But, I prefer not to.

Sorry, that's the best I can do for you.

No worries, it's not a big deal- I just can't visualize it from the side view of what you posted with the plow edge on the ground.

It's my shortcoming, not yours.
T