Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed?

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #1  

FarmerCog

Tractor
Massey Harris Pony, Masey Ferguson GC2610
I recently was removing stumps from an area where I will be skidding my work shop to when I became aware of a noticeable increase in the tractor temperature. The engine was fine but when I inspected the hydraulic lines going to the backhoe I found the supply hose was VERY HOT ( almost burnt my hand when I touched it). I stopped after about another 10 minutes and skidded my last stump to the burn pile. The following day I was back leveling the soil in the excavation area. I noticed a significant reduction in forward speed, both slow and fast (rabbit/Turtle). I drained the oil replaced the main filter and suction screen. I inserted a magnet into as many holes I could to see if there were signs of filings or ??. Nothing! I removed both rear wheels and looked for anything that might be causing the the slower speed. No stones or sticks but I cleaned out some mud without any significant change in speed. has anyone encountered this problem or has a suggestion on where to look next. My dealer said they had a similar problem with another tractor but it could not move at all. They repaired it (not sure what they did but the bill was over $3000). Thxs for any and all comments.

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #2  
I am assuming the HST cooling fan blades are ok. Heat buildup is ussually a sign of poor cooling , high ambient temperatures, or the hydraulic fluid going through a pressure relief valve. Check the 3 point lower/raise lever makes sure it is centered. It would have caused a loss of back hoe hydraulics if it wasn't. Listen closely while it's running to see if you can hear anything abnormal.

Attachments

• hst.jpg
    hst.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 42
   / Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #3  
Yes check the cooling fan, only use rabbit mode if you going from point a to b with no load-do not use rabbit mode when working-this will def. make it run a lot hotter. You must be able to see fluid in glass viewer. Hoses will get hot...that is normal. Check your brake is not engage as well.

These tractors like to run at higher rpms are-you should always be in the 540 range or more when working this GCs.

One last thing to check is your couplings are clean and connected right-especially the backhoe ones-restrictions there will cause flow problems and build up heat.

You can also try purging any air pockets(this will also cause issues) by fully extending and retracting the loader and BH implements (safely of course) severe times.

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #4  
Is there a radiator in front of the radiator for cooling
the hyd fluid? All filters etc. should be checked to
see if they are clean

willy

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #5  
Farmercog
Did you lose both pulling power and speed in forward or just speed?

any change in reverse?

An item that could effect forward power and speed is the forward relief valve. But this would definitely affect pulling power though.

if air in HST system you will here it and would effect both directions of travel

how is the swash plate controlled on this model? Mechanical link to some control on the pump or via electrical signal to a proportional valve?

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed?
Only forward speed and no lose in pulling power. Cooling fan still operational. Not sure about the "swash Plate". Could you elaborate? Thxs

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #7  
The swash plate is the flow control for the axial piston pump in the HST. It has a mechanical linkage with the foot pedal that controls direction and speed of the tractor. Youtube it for better explanation.

SCUTs run a lot hotter than other tractor types, and are much harder on the hydro fluid. If you were working the tractor hard in a high ambient temperature it starts to thin out the hydraulic fluid. This can cause issues with seals, and potentially "cooking" the oil, causing more heat issues. The oil does not go back to the way it was afterwards after it cools down, it loses its ability to operate in high temperatures.

What oil are you presently using in the HST. How many years and hours does it have in the tractor?

UTF 32, purchased from local auto parts supplier. I had replaced it last August along with filter and screen. Oil only has ~ 50 hours.

/ Massey GC2610 over heated Hydraulic Oil causing a reduction in forward speed? #9  
Do you have a brand, product name for the UTF?

April TDH, specifically April Nano 1. 100% Pure Virgin Oil made in Canada.

New oil from AGCO - Permatran 821XL

• Good Post
Reactions: DMW