Massive storm clean up

/ Massive storm clean up #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Monday August 7th. We has a very strong storm blow through my little town. Top wind speeds in my area of 110MPH.
One of my farm customers bore the brunt of the damage. An estimated 300 medium-large trees blown over or snapped off like tooth picks.
Amazing is the power of nature. Huge trees just uprooted and blown over. Their 100 year existence over in one gust of air.

Their “tree guy” is going to be busy for a long time, so they have called me offering tractor & chainsaw work for the month of August.

Nothing set in stone yet, all just talk with the groundskeeper right now. He’s a very solid guy I have farmed & worked for for years. He was a meteorologist in the Navy and knows his stuff about weather.

Some pictures of the damage. Looks like a hurricane came through, but it’s isolated to a small area-maybe 1,000 acres, and the strangest part is it’s a very narrow swath.
Everyone thought it was a tornado, but no tornado activity was confirmed. Fallen

trees down point towards the east. No “swirl” to any of the debris.

1691664820327.jpeg

1691664891221.jpeg

1691664958105.jpeg

I can’t really get back far enough to show all the damage, but it is extensive. No buildings, barns or houses were damaged, which is hard to believe.

Now begins the clean-up process. If I am to take on this job, it will probably be done in several steps, first being clear areas used daily like tractor paths, then farm fields. The trees that fell in the woods are probably last, if ever done at all.
A huge mess. Beginning to think a tub grinder is going to be needed.

No idea how to price this other than time and equipment. I have what’s left of the month of August to knock out the first part out, then have to return to hay farming.
First, have to confirm I have the work!!! Could be an interesting and long term job. Going to have to find some help.

/ Massive storm clean up #2  
Dang :eek:
Wouldn't track feller buncher with skidder work the best for that disaster?

/ Massive storm clean up #3  
Hay Dude,
You could cut all the trunks and good wood and sell it as firewood (un-split) then just drag the rest into big piles and burn it.
There are a lot of guys that sell firewood, have them show up with their trailers and load the logs on for them, they can cut it on their own property,
which lowers the liability of them getting hurt on others land.
A neighbor of ours did that and it worked out for him. He ran an add in the local paper for trailer loads of wood only.

/ Massive storm clean up #4  
What a mess! Where abouts are you located?

/ Massive storm clean up
Good ideas, but there’s a few issues worth mentioning.

The land owners are environmentalists. They are also VERY private people. They won’t want a bunch of different people coming in/out with trucks kicking up lots of dust in and out past their houses. These people are excellent farming customers, but demand courtesy, privacy and respect for their land. Took me a while to earn their trust. I can’t tear-up the property or bring in any idiots.

The land is also very hilly. This could get dicey at times.

I was going to use my Challenger with loader & grapple forks and keep picking away at it. I thought of renting a tub grinder for the smaller stuff. However, this may be a job too big for my equipment and may require a dozer with a winch.

/ Massive storm clean up #6  
Would they allow you to pile and burn in the areas that are not close to their home? Also if there is wide spread damage the State/County is probably going to get FEMA assistance and if they do there is usually a designated site to haul debris to but you would need to rent a loader truck for that most likely.

/ Massive storm clean up #7  
We had a Derecho come through here about a month ago. We didn’t have a lot of damage but my wife’s nephew did. I took my tractor over and did quite a bit of cleanup. I burn some firewood but I realized I needed to focus on the cleanup and forget about firewood.

I have a small tractor and just used the forks and picked up what I could. They own something like 10 acres of which 3 acres is mowed and the rest is in trees. We just dumped the brush and broken trees along the edge of the woods. A neighbor came along with a skid steer and other family members came along with a skid steer and chainsaws later. I‘d say there was maybe 60 man hours in just their 3 acres of yard and we didn’t touch what they had in the woods.

My point is the time required can be big and you probably won’t want to do much more than try and cleanup the open areas. Forks and/or a grapple will be your friend.

Last edited:
   / Massive storm clean up #8  
My woods had something similar in a much smaller scale happen about 20 years ago, involved approximately 40-50 trees all stacked up in a row semi on top of each other in a row 400ish feet long from southwest to northeast.

Weirdest thing I had ever seen…..

The rest of the woods seemed mostly unscathed

It took me almost ten years to clean up all the mess by myself, still can tell the path that it took

/ Massive storm clean up #9  
I'd be easing into firewood. That's enough to get things started.

/ Massive storm clean up
Track hoe with thumb may be perfect for this. Pick up logs and set them into open areas to cut up 8’, 16’, 24’.
A friend of mine will haul away tri-axle loads of logs, any species for $300/load. Thought of using him to haul away pine & poplar

I’m into a little firewood, so maybe save best log species and haul them away on my trailer for firewood or sell to guys who want to split wood.

Last edited: