Massy or Mahindra

/ Massy or Mahindra #1  

gravelman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2650
Hi folks...gravelman from Hopkinton Mass. im trying to decide on a new compact tractor...long story short, im being told Mahindra has the only engine that complies with the emission standards without the regeneration stuff.... i like the sound of that and am nervous about the regeneration extras added to other machines. So im trying to decide on a Mahindra 3540 (very rugged) or a Massey Ferguson 1736. I cannot really justify the Mahindra, not enough work for it but im worried about the engine of the Massey. The Mahindra is alot more money im thinking too. Anyone with any advice, guidance, recommendations...i will be forever grateful. Thanks much Bob

/ Massy or Mahindra #2  
At 50 hours with a 1758 Massey, it has Regen once and I never knew it. To me it's out of sight and out of mind. I was worried about this like you but my concerns were unwarranted. last Eve I pulled out a 1/2 ton ford and a 3/4 Dodge Cummins from a trail that was saturated with 3" rainfall. I had my doubts but the little Massey had tremendous traction.

/ Massy or Mahindra #3  
I know Mahindra makes quality machines, but I avoid supporting companies from India as much as possible. Without putting too fine a point on it, they absolutely are not our friends from a big picture perspective.

/ Massy or Mahindra #4  
3540 is a new version of my 4035, it is a very well made and rugged beast. It would serve you well for anything you wanted. As you stated it is a lot of tractor (one of the heaviest in the compact class) and is rather expensive (35 series is their "premium" line of compact.

/ Massy or Mahindra #5  
3540 is a new version of my 4035, it is a very well made and rugged beast. It would serve you well for anything you wanted. As you stated it is a lot of tractor (one of the heaviest in the compact class) and is rather expensive (35 series is their "premium" line of compact.

What concerns you about the engine in the Massey?

Also, it would be more appropriate to compare a Massey 1742 or 1749 than the 1736. That 3540 is 40 HP...

Both good tractors tho

/ Massy or Mahindra #6  
What concerns you about the engine in the Massey?

I never said I had any concerns about the Massey or it's engine. I was only speaking to what I know, which is that the 40 horse 35-series is a big rugged workhorse for it's class. Only Masseys I know much about are all older, and even that is limited to what issues I've helped my father in law with on his units. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of checking one out, they're one of the greatest names in tractors for a reason.

One thing that did occur to me during this reply, historically speaking, Perkins diesel engines were a big part of what made Massey what they are today. Perkins diesel was Mahindra's primary partner in creating their line of mCRD tier4 compliant engines...

/ Massy or Mahindra #7  
I know Mahindra makes quality machines, but I avoid supporting companies from India as much as possible. Without putting too fine a point on it, they absolutely are not our friends from a big picture perspective.

You've said this several times, but historically they've sided with us on various global conflicts, nor have we been directly at war with them as we have been with others that so many like to do business with, so I really don't get it. Please refine the point a bit. Is anyone truly our friends in a big picture scenario? Seems to me even those that "side with you" are often looking after their own skin in the big picture.

/ Massy or Mahindra #8  
I never said I had any concerns about the Massey or it's engine. I was only speaking to what I know, which is that the 40 horse 35-series is a big rugged workhorse for it's class. Only Masseys I know much about are all older, and even that is limited to what issues I've helped my father in law with on his units. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of checking one out, they're one of the greatest names in tractors for a reason.

One thing that did occur to me during this reply, historically speaking, Perkins diesel engines were a big part of what made Massey what they are today. Perkins diesel was Mahindra's primary partner in creating their line of mCRD tier4 compliant engines...

I'm sorry, I meant to quote the OP, must have accidentally quoted you instead.

Hi folks...gravelman from Hopkinton Mass. im trying to decide on a new compact tractor...long story short, im being told Mahindra has the only engine that complies with the emission standards without the regeneration stuff.... i like the sound of that and am nervous about the regeneration extras added to other machines. So im trying to decide on a Mahindra 3540 (very rugged) or a Massey Ferguson 1736. I cannot really justify the Mahindra, not enough work for it but im worried about the engine of the Massey. The Mahindra is alot more money im thinking too. Anyone with any advice, guidance, recommendations...i will be forever grateful. Thanks much Bob

/ Massy or Mahindra #9  
You've said this several times, but historically they've sided with us on various global conflicts, nor have we been directly at war with them as we have been with others that so many like to do business with, so I really don't get it. Please refine the point a bit. Is anyone truly our friends in a big picture scenario? Seems to me even those that "side with you" are often looking after their own skin in the big picture.

Sorry, I can't say anything more than that. We've never been at war with Russia, and they've sided with us on a number of global issues, but they are as far from being our friends as imaginable...kind of the same thing.

/ Massy or Mahindra #10  
Sorry, I can't say anything more than that. We've never been at war with Russia, and they've sided with us on a number of global issues, but they are as far from being our friends as imaginable...kind of the same thing.

LMBO, not hardly... Russia? China? NKorea? yea, those are places who's government policies are more at odds with our own and can easily be classified as an enemy by many different standards. India is not in the same boat as them by a long shot. They're more like us than they are the communists. If there is info out there to say otherwise, you shouldn't need to "say any more" than anything besides a few links from good sources. There's plenty out there to point to Russia having an unfriendly relationship with the US. I don't think you'll find the same volume of issues or the same levels of animosity. Without some substantiation and such a radical comparison, it seems more like it is something totally personal.