3-Point Hitch Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount.

/ Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount. #11  
When I was much younger, I moved a sea ray 185 boat with an LT166 lawn tractor. Up a hill. Worked fine. Probably wouldn't try that today.

I pull my gooseneck dump trailer with my Mahindra 3550. Tractor weight, about 6000+ depending on what's on the front. Trailer weight, 5000-12000 give or take. Pulls it fine, can't use high range up a hill with that much weight.

I also pull my chipper with the tractor, chipper weighs probably about 5000 pounds. Forgot to put the tractor in 4wd once after a trip up the road, and started sliding down my gravel driveway when I went to stop. Ended up stopping eventually, and I kept the machine straight, but it was interesting for a minute. In 4wd it's not an issue whatsoever, and even in 2wd it stopped eventually, even on a pretty loose, pretty steep hill.

Hills will be the biggest determination of how much weight you can move easily. If I had your tractor and trailer, I'd probably hook it up and go, paying attention to how it feels. But what I think is safe, others may not. YMMV.

/ Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount. #12  
My Kubota B7800 can easily tow 3200# empty dump trailer using 3pt quick hitch. Won't do it down steep hill so...

/ Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount. #13  
I have a 2016 26xl HST. The only spec I could find is 715lb vertical limit on the drawbar. I'm assuming that means tongue weight. You would have to measure the tongue weight of your trailer in that position of being hooked up to the draw bar.

/ Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount. #14  
Does anyone know how much weight a Max 26 can safely tow around the farm? I have a dual axle dump trailer I want to move around the farm that weights 2000 lbs empty using a 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount attachment. I would never be crazy enough tow it loaded, but would like to move it around when empty on some 8-10% grades. Every internet search results in "towing the tractor on a trailer" and not "towing a trailer with a tractor". Cant find anything in the Specs. Hopefully someone can solve this puzzle or has a good rule of thumb (% of tractor weight, etc). Thanks !!
I pull around my suretrac 20' all steel trailer with my max 26 with no effort...
It weighs more than 2000lbs

/ Max 26 Trailer Towing Capacity from 3 pt quick-hitch with ball mount. #15  
Towing trailers on a three point hitch (3pth) can go wrong so many ways.
- A 3 pth has no down force. So if trailer has negative tongue weight, the trailer’s tongue is going to try to climb into the tractor seat with you. Especially going downhill or backing uphill. With enough force and a severe angle, the hitch will pop off the ball. Some people have chained the 3 point hitch down to the drawbar so it can’t raise up.
- You may start out with positive (down) tongue weight, but trying to stop quick, going up or down a slope, backing up, or load shifting, can change that in a second.
-Tractor weight is your friend. Having more, or as much as possible, than the load is better. Tongue weight is your friend.
- On a level surface and with hard tires, a man can pull a 18 wheel tractor trailer. So any tractor can pull just about anything under the right conditions. It’s stopping and going up inclines that the puller needs weight.
- The more tongue weight trailer has that puts weight on the rear of tractor, the more traction tractor has. (Brake power is another story)

Last edited: