Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options?

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #1  

mtsman2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510, Yanmar F22D, JD 2305
Considering purchasing a Max 26 XLT. I must have AG tires due to my spring seeps, creek crossings, etc.. Dealer has one in stock w/ 9.5 x 16 OEM rear Ag tires so I measured the rear width to the outer edge of the tire TREAD. With the rear wheel installed at the dealer default, the rear outer edge of the Ag tire TREAD is about 46" wide (yes, there is about another inch of rear ag tire bulge on each side which would bring width out to 48" but IMO tread measurement is more representative for my stability so I measured outer tread width).

It would be easy to flip each rear wheel to the other side to attempt to create a wider width, however, the wheel flange that mounts to the axle is welded somewhat offset of center and more to the inside of the wheel (see photo). I am not sure I would gain much width by flipping each wheel to the other side.

So Then I noticed that the max 26 xlt rear wheel is only a 1 piece unit. I can not rebolt/reconfigure the axle flange to the wheel for a wider configuration. (My kioti has a 2 piece rear wheel and I have been able to make significant rear wheel width gains by making adjustments to the 2 piece wheel bolt configuration).

So, questions/options:
1. has anyone flipped their Max 26 rear ag wheels and how much width have you gained,...if any?
2. has anyone purchased aftermarket rear wheels that fits a 9.5x16 ag tire (and correct center bore, bolt pattern, etc) and used it on your max 26? (unlikely, probably expensive, but worth asking)
3. Another option would be rear wheel spacers. I have installed/used these very successfully on previous tractors and I do see they are available for a Max 26. Has anyone installed spacers and found value/safety in their added width (I don't need a mower for this tractor so no worries about mower mounting with wider rear wheels)
4. what other options for making my rear Ag wheels wider have I missed?

Before you ask, Yes, I will be filling the tires and possibly adding wheel weights. I have slopes and rocks and just like to be as safe as possible so wider rear wheels is better for me.

I looked back through the forums about 2 years and did not see any threads addressing this same topic. But I may have missed one so if this has been discussed previously please include that thread link for me, TY.

2BB0436D-177F-4D95-A554-F032FD306068.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #2  
I have r4 and loaded tires, i go on decent grades between 20 -25%, i have not felt tippyness at all, not sure if it helps

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #3  
Switch the complete wheels from left to right and right to left. The increased width will be the distance of the lug bolt flange to the wheel weight holes x2 (this is an approximation based on the picture )

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options?
TY VQ. that was my first idea. I have flipped wheels on other units in the past with good success. However, I noticed that the entire lug bolt flange is welded off center to the actual wheel. If you look at the 4 sections where the lug bolt flange is welded to the actual wheel, they are not welded in the center of the actual wheel. They are offset all the way to the inside of the wheel.
So for example looking at the exact spot where the entire lug bolt flange is welded to the wheel, I am guessing that the wheel has about a 6" width/depth. Well, the entire lug bolt flange is welded about 5" deep, toward the inside of the actual wheel, instead of being welded at say may 3" depth (centered) on the actual inside of the wheel. those 4 lug bolt flange welds seems to be about 2" toward the inside of where the lug bolts attach to the axle hub. Its a concave wheel between the lug bolt area and where the flange is welded to the actual wheel. So I am not sure I would gain any width...? Hopefully I am explaining it well.

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #5  
One other option would be too remove the centers and then reweld them to get the desired spacing.

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #6  
Get rid of the welded wheels and get some 2 part component wheels. Then you have 4 options for wheel center width: 2 spider options and 2 wheel rim options. If you are that concerned about rollover, fill them only 1/2 full. This keeps the c.g. change down and still gets you some traction. I had 28 R1's on 2 piece wheels and just installed 24" R4 on the 1 piece wheel so I understand the predicament. My experience is that the R1's will slide on a sideslope and not lead to a tipping situation. The R4's will because they stick on a sideslope. I changed to get a better range/gear ground speed for haying and I got a great deal on the loaded 24's as new take-offs.

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #7  
One other option would be too remove the centers and then reweld them to get the desired spacing.
I like that suggestion.
From his posted pix I see it as a fairly easy task. *
Heck I did just that on my front rims for my CUT.

*welds appear to be inner where the center edge meets the rim thus easy grind.
If tubeless that could be accomplished with tires still mounted.

Great info from Lou, zz, Piloon. TY! I think grinding off/re-welding the spider(centers) would be more cost efficient than new 2 piece wheels,...and maybe more cost efficient than spacers, not sure.

zz, on my Kioti I un-bolted/reconfigured the rear 2 piece wheel for a very wide base and I do have the rears filled only to 1/2 way plus added #160 of wheel weights each side. I planned to do the same with the max 26 but wished to also widen the rear wheel base in some manner.

/ Max 26 XLT - Anyone make their rear Ag tire/wheel wider? what are my options? #9  
I have a 1635 with R1 and a max 26XLT with R4. It *appears* that the front wheels of the 1635 will fit the back of the 26. They’re offset dish and should be able to be reversed for more spacing. It’s weird to me that those wheels wouldn’t be the standard for the Max. perso, I hate R4 tires for agriculture, they don’t have enough traction because they “float” on the surface. They’re only real advantage to me is the thick sidewalls

I have a 1635 with R1 and a max 26XLT with R4. It *appears* that the front wheels of the 1635 will fit the back of the 26. They’re offset dish and should be able to be reversed for more spacing. It’s weird to me that those wheels wouldn’t be the standard for the Max. perso, I hate R4 tires for agriculture, they don’t have enough traction because they “float” on the surface. They’re only real advantage to me is the thick sidewalls
Interesting. I do see that they are both 16" wheels. The 1635 OEM is a 7x16 front and the Max 26 is a 9.5 x 16 rear. I suppose I would need to research the engineered load capacity of the front wheels but you did give me a couple ideas. Good info on the R4, I must have the Ag's too.

TY.