Mowing Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #11  
LD1: don't forget to add weight to the equation when applying larger equip to a compact tractor in addition to just the required pto hp. safety comes to mind regardless of hp required to operate the implement. esp on smaller tractors
i'd much rather be overkill on the power plant for an implement rather than the opposite.

as long as it's safe & doesn't stress the machine, follow the bliss....

Last edited:
   / Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #12  
LD1: don't forget to add weight to the equation when applying larger equip. on a compact tractor in addition to just the required pto hp. safety comes to mind regardless of hp required to operate the implement. esp on smaller tractors
i'd much rather be overkill on the power plant for an implement rather than the opposite.

as long as it's safe & doesn't stress the machine, follow the bliss....
That's why I said an 800# medium duty 6' would be no problem on a 3000# tractor. No added weight required.

Get up around 1200# heavy duty cutters.....you will need front weight for anything but flat ground

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #13  
all good points, i like the forum for it's free exchange of ideas among members with varying opinions. hope the OP gets back with the outcome of his post & if the new investment is cost effective & w/o sacrificing safety on slopes, regards

• Good Post
Reactions: RB5
   / Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #14  
The 3033 is rated for a 72" mower, so power wise, it should be fine with a 72" brush cutter. If weight is an issue, leave it on the ground until you can lift it safely. My 52" pull type Swisher only has a 10 hp brigs, no power issues at all. If the tractor will fit over the brush the cutter will cut it.

0827210614.jpg

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #15  
Im just the opposite. I am constantly surprised by just how undersized people usually run, or is suggested, for implements.

HST as well as modern gear transmissions is a game changer. Too many people of the mindset of tractors half a century ago where 1st gear was 3mph and second was 5mph then a jump to 8mph for 3rd.

But with most modern tractors, and having 4 gears under 4mph....or even better, a HST.....makes better use of the HP.

Everyone wants to run a small cutter because they think mowing fast (5-6mph) is the way to go. I'll take slow and wide any day over fast and narrow.

In the OP's case, its a 3000# tractor with more than 2000# lift capacity out back. It will handle a ~800# medium duty 6' cutter with ease in terms of weight. If a 10% bigger cutter makes you go 10% slower thats a win in my book. Slower easier ride and more time to react.

If you aint running out of HP and bogging you aint using all your HP. Upsize the implement til you can.

You see a farmer pulling a 20' batwing on a 100hp (80pto) tractor and no one bats an eye. But balk at the notion of a 6' cutter on a 30hp or slightly less machine:unsure:

Both are 5HP per foot.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #16  
Both are 5HP per foot.
Exactly my point.

Can't tell you how many people think I run too big of a cutter. 8' twin on a 51hp (42pto) MX Kubota.

No different than. A 15' batwing behind ,100hp machine

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #17  
LD1: is your twin 3ph or drag? curious

Last edited:
   / Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #18  
Exactly my point.

Can't tell you how many people think I run too big of a cutter. 8' twin on a 51hp (42pto) MX Kubota.

No different than. A 15' batwing behind ,100hp machine

Weight could be a different story than HP per foot.

Also, a pull/trailer type cutter can put different stresses on a tractor than a 3 point mount.

I have 6 tires on the ground and some 6 foot cutters have only 1.

Theres a lot of factors. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to buy something, use it for several hours and return it if it’s too big or small.

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #19  
LD1: is your twin 3ph or drag? curious
3pt. Woods ds96....

Its a wheel-stander....lol without the loader on and cutter raised.

But when cutting, the tractor only has half the weight of the cutter anyway.....so it's not issue.

I wouldn't be scared to hook to a 10' or 12' cutter in semi mount fashion. But needing to trailer the cutter, and keeping under 8'6" width.....I'm at my realistic max unless I seriously upsize to a fold up batwing and much bigger machine. But most of my jobs are 3-5 acres and don't warrant it

/ Max Bush Hog for Deere 3033r #20  
sounds like a good match up for you. 3ph vs drag is an important distinction as well as pto hp when considering a larger mower.
once owned an MX5000, great tractor but needed something larger & w/more hp given my terrain is diverse w/some rough areas. it could not come close to handling my current 2000# 3ph 8' twin (Rhino).
best of luck to OP in the decision. LD1, keep up the good work, regards