MAX or 16 series?? What to buy

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #1  

cgendron

Tractor
Mahindra
Hello,

This is my first post and its going to be a long one. LOL

I'm a first time tractor purchaser, since I don't consider my Craftsman garden tractor a real "tractor". I've done countless hours of research into tractors and I've narrowed my purchase down to either the Mahindra MAX series or the 16 series. I'm a huge car nut and more specifically a huge Mitsubishi nut. So buying a Mitsubishi built tractor is a high priority for me. the Mahindra 16 series is the same as the MT28 and MT36 Mitsu tractors in Japan. I'm not sure what the Mitsu equivalent to the MAX 22, 25, and 28s are, but if you know Mitsu tractors, I can tell Mitsu makes them. The eMax series is a rebadged TYM tractor (Korean made). And I think the rest of the Mahindra line up is actually made by Mahindra.

There are some other Mitsu engined tractors out there. The New Holland Boomer 20 and 25 use Mitsu engines, but the rest of the tractor isn't Mitsu built. A lot of Cub Cadet tractors in the 90s and up to 2003, I think, had a lot of re-badged Mitsu tractors. (71xx, 72xx, and 73xx to name a few) And some Mahindra models in 2004 or 5, on are re-badged Mitsus. (mostly ending in 15 and 16) Mitsu tractors are easy to spot because the hood and cowl have a unique look to them.

Anyways, back to my actual questions. I have a new house on 3 acres. I plan on having almost 2.5 acres to mow in the near future. But most of that 2.5 acres needs to be finished. In the next year or two I'll be doing a lot of dirt pushing and grading. This year I want to get a 120 foot gravel driveway built from the pole shed to the road. I have an asphalt driveway 150 feet long and 70 wide at the top that I need to do snow removal during a Minnesota winter. Trying to decide on a tractor is tough. I'm sure a MAX 22 is going to do it all, and with my size of yard, and driveway a 60 MMM mower and a 56" snowblower would get the job done. But for the next couple of years with the dirt moving, grading, landscaping needs a 3016 or even 3616 would do it even better. And a 72" MMM and 66" snowblower is going to get the work done faster for the ongoing tasks. But going from a MAX 22 up to a 3616 you are talking about a $7 to 8k difference in price.

I'd like to buy one tractor and keep it for 20 or 30 years, so I want to get this right. My yard is fairly flat with light tree coverage. I also plan on doing the landscaping to eliminate any tight turns with the tractor. So maneuvering a bigger tractor shouldn't be a problem. I'm a little concerned with scalping the yard with that wide 72" deck versus the 60". But not sure how big of a deal that is. I've heard the MMM on both tractors give a good cut. Any advice or suggestions? I've heard the saying that no mater what tractor you buy, you'll wish you had a bigger one. Well, if I just got the 3616, then I'd have the biggest Mitsu built Mahindra. Am I crazy for wanting to get a 3616 with only having a 3 acre lot with about 2.5 acres to mow?

Thanks for reading,
Curt

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #2  
My experience is that I currently have a Kubota B2920 with 60" mmm and just got a eMax 25 with 60" mmm, after one week of rain the new eMax 25 and 9" to 12" grass, I can say that the eMax did the job, but as you recut the wet grass it will bog the engine, but still acceptable, my B2920 would go thru same height no problem. I mow 1/2 acre, 1 acre ane 3 acre houses, who cares how big the tractor is, gets the job done quicker. One issue I see is that I had a Kubota L3010, much bigger than B series, was just too big, high seating position bad feel on slopes. The issue of slopes, if you have minor ones the eMax actually has a wider front track than the B2920, and feels much more stable. Just got the B2920 back from 50 hour maint. and will post pictures comparing. Max 28 is going away due to tier 4 emissions soon. Really like the eMax 25. Watch the snow blower on gravel drives, great stone thrower/ jammer.
I bought the eMax with backhoe, tiller, FEL and 60" mmm and will keep the B2920, as some say you should get the backhoe up front, I could not justify adding it to the B2920 (+$8000) so with multiple properties an additional tractor made sense. My properties are My House, my daughters house/ office and recently my mother-in-laws house, and I appear to be the only one that can run a mower/ tractor.

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #3  
Yup. Seems to me a 3016 or 3616 would be overkill for your needs. Getting the MMM is an excellent choice. You may find some new old stock MAX 22/25/28 out there.

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #4  
If you go with the Max and plan to do a bunch of mowing, consider the Max 25 over the Max 22 as you get a significantly larger engine. The replacement for both the Max22 and Max25 is a single model which will be called the Max24. The Max28 is being replaced with a Max26 and is little changed from the Max28. The Max24/25/28 and the 3016 all use the same engine.

The Max28/26 has more space in the operators area then the Max25/22/24. If you are big or tall or both, you might like the Max28 over the Max25.

I've never mowed with a mmm on a tractor the size of the 3616, so I can't comment on how well it will do. It is getting toward the large size for a mowing tractor. On our place, we have a zero-turn for the nicer lawns near the house, and a flail mower for the more informal lawn/yard areas that are several acres in size. That works well for us.

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy
Long term the number one function of the tractor would be for mowing. 2nd function would be snow blowing and 3rd would be landscaping. Its just in the next two years, it will probably get more of a workout doing landscaping and dirt moving. I'd probably go for a leftover MAX 25 versus the 22 or the new 24s.

Thanks,
Curt

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #6  
I forgot to mention... I mow about 4 acres on my Max 25 with MMM. Its pretty rough terrain of natural weed/grass growth. I let it grow to 6-8", then I don't cut it very short either at 3-4" cut height. The tractor can handle blazing it all at full speed in low gear but the terrain prevents me from doing that for much of that. Even when mowing, there is plenty of power generated by the 25 as well as any other implement. I am generally limited by the hydraulic reliefs running the BH or FEL than anything else. Size is perfect. The only exception is my next purchase will be a PTO mounted chipper/shredder to help deal with all the tree cleanup. I wish I could step up a size from the BXM32.

Dave- Just curious... Do you know what the difference is in engine configuration that makes up the difference in horsepower rating of the 24/25 and 28 being that they are the same engine? Is it just engine mapping in the ECM or are there differences in injectors etc.?

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #7  
We often tell people to buy the tractor that will do 80% of their tasks with ease. Then just struggle some with the other 20% of tasks. The other 20% will take longer, but it is still way faster than a shovel and wheelbarrow...and more fun. Or even rent a big machine for a weekend.

From a dealer's perspective, I think you need a small tractor and a medium tractor and a large tractor. And a tractor for each implement for efficiency in that regard. ;)

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #8  
Dave- Just curious... Do you know what the difference is in engine configuration that makes up the difference in horsepower rating of the 24/25 and 28 being that they are the same engine? Is it just engine mapping in the ECM or are there differences in injectors etc.?

It appears they just rate the engines at different RPMS. The 25 HP rating is at 2500 rpm, the 28 HP rating is at 2600 rpm. On our dyno, they show the same HP if run at the same RPM. Suffice it to say the Max 25 has plenty of HP as it appears rated low in my book. I am sure there are more official answers as ratings are tied to EPA norms, etc. So take this as "from Dave" not from Mahindra.

/ MAX or 16 series?? What to buy #9  
note to self... Dave from Mahindra says I can throw a turbo kit on my Max 25 NO PROBLEM!:devil: