MaxBrake Review

/ MaxBrake Review #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
So based on the recs here, (primarily DiamondPilot) I bought a Max Brake tow controller for my 2007 Toyota Tundra. Thought I'd write a quick review for the curious.

I'm not all that qualified to do so - only ever towed things without brakes before.

But the impression I got is that it really is all that. Once installed, with trailer hooked up, I just drove like I normally do. Totally seamless, totally easy, just set the gain for the weight.

It was like I wasn't even pulling a trailer (and I'd guess I have 10k pounds back there, or close to it). Dry, the truck actually stopped faster - all the extra brakes I guess.

Basically, it seems to be simply amazing as a brake controller. Based on a completely painless 800 mile tow, including hills (Poconos) its just perfect - it does what it does without me having to pay any attention to it.

Tundra hauled 10k easily btw. Around 9.5 mpg. Plenty of juice to accelerate up the hills, no braking issues (though trailer brakes were braking it of course)

Installation was pretty painless, though I had a mechanic help. Attaching to the brake lines and bleeding them took very little time. Fishing the ethernet cable through the firewall took a while, but that's a Toyota issue, not a maxbrake one. Hint, cut the nipple on both sides...

Mounted it right above the parking brake more or less. I'm very tall, and it doesn't get in my way there.

All in, yet another reason I love TBN. Never would have heard about it otherwise. (btw, bought from Southwest Wheel with TBN discount, no complaints on that subject either). Called customer support for Maxbrake and found them very helpful.

/ MaxBrake Review #2  
Glad you are happy with the Max Brake. The few I have installed now are happy customers also. I have not had the opportunity to use one yet but am sure it works just as good as the Ford Factory Brake Controller its modeled after.

By the way, I just did a 900 mile trip with my Titan from Northestern Indiana to about 1 hour south of Knoxville TN and got the same MPG as you did. It was right at 9.3/9.4 pulling a little over 9,000#.

Chris

Last edited:
   / MaxBrake Review #3  
So I guess I just don't understand the point of this device.

With the Tundra, there's at least one plug and play controller (like the Prodigy that I have in mine) that takes 20 minutes to install, doesn't require a level mount and with the press of a button will be set for a given load range.

I tow 7-8K lbs in an enclosed trailer with my Tundra and have never had a problem and don't even really think about the controller. The brake signal to the trailer is proportionate and will only give me a bit of a lock-up on gravel roads when coming to a stop.

I read the marketing literature and I suppose I'm not following why I'd need or want this type of device.

/ MaxBrake Review #4  
So I guess I just don't understand the point of this device.

With the Tundra, there's at least one plug and play controller (like the Prodigy that I have in mine) that takes 20 minutes to install, doesn't require a level mount and with the press of a button will be set for a given load range.

I tow 7-8K lbs in an enclosed trailer with my Tundra and have never had a problem and don't even really think about the controller. The brake signal to the trailer is proportionate and will only give me a bit of a lock-up on gravel roads when coming to a stop.

I read the marketing literature and I suppose I'm not following why I'd need or want this type of device.

The advantage to the Max Brake is its pressure driven via a sensor in the brake line. It needs no adjustment and will give you more braking if you push the brake pedal harder, less if you push it less. It also gives the trailer anti-lock brakes, well sorta. It will pulsate them but not monitor lockup.

I saw a independent video where a guy took a F-350 diesel dually that had a Prodigy P3 in it. He had a 18,000# or so trailer behind it and did measured stops form 30, 40, and 60mph or something like that. He then installed the Max Brake and did the same test and beat his stopping distance substantially, something like 30%. From the guys I have installed them for and what I have noticed on my F-350 with the Ford Factory Brake Controller in it is its so smooth in stop and go traffic. Conventional brake controllers seem to get GRABBY in these instances.

If you do some deep research most brake controllers have a braking schedule programed into them. I am making the numbers up but its something like this. Initially it will give you about 75% of the power you have dialed in via the gain. It will then increase slightly then taper off to about 20%. This is over a set time period of maybe 5 seconds or so. It will then hold about 20% until the brakes are released then start over with brake application. The Max Brake and others like it that are pressure driven simply work how hard you press the brake pedal.

As for installing, its not hard at all. Maybe 30 minutes. Its plug and play in the truck just as the P3 and others. Under the hood you must route a wiring harness, the toughest part of the whole deal. You must also loosen a brake line from the master cylinder, install a "T" fitting, and thats it. No need to bleed the brakes because its the highest point of the system.

I have put in a few. Installing the controller in the truck, 5 minutes. Running the wire thought the firewall, 10-20 minutes. Installing the pressure sensor and "T" fitting maybe 3 minutes. Very simple for a controller that is hands down better than anything else on the aftermarket.

As for your controller you are running now it a good unit. I have the same one in my F-250. I have a Reese in my Titan and its about the same. I have the Ford Factory Unit in my F-350 that the Max Brake is modeled after and its so much better. Yes, the one in my F-250 and Titan are good enough but if money was no object I would have Max Brakes in them also. I don't tow really heavy with them like I do with the F-350

Chris

/ MaxBrake Review #5  
Thanks DP.

Perhaps as one approaches the limits of a given towing platform, this system might have some advantages. For me, with the Tundra, the Prodigy required no splicing and no tapping, just one kick board trim R&R and then plugging the pigtail in to the factory plug on the Toyota harness.

I must admit that tapping in to the braking system aft of the master is a bit of a deal braker for me.

Tow safely everyone.

/ MaxBrake Review #6  
Thanks DP.

Perhaps as one approaches the limits of a given towing platform, this system might have some advantages. For me, with the Tundra, the Prodigy required no splicing and no tapping, just one kick board trim R&R and then plugging the pigtail in to the factory plug on the Toyota harness.

I must admit that tapping in to the braking system aft of the master is a bit of a deal braker for me.

Tow safely everyone.

I agree. I have a P3 and its ok, same as my Reese. Once you used anything other you would never go back.

I hear this over and over but its a direct fit vehicle specific fitting that goes in line with a brake circuit. I would guess there are 10 to 20 fittings between the master cylinder and the brakes on your truck. They are just fine so why would adding one more be of concern?

Chris

/ MaxBrake Review #7  
I hear this over and over but its a direct fit vehicle specific fitting that goes in line with a brake circuit. I would guess there are 10 to 20 fittings between the master cylinder and the brakes on your truck. They are just fine so why would adding one more be of concern?

Chris

I'd be concerned for three reasons...

1. Improper installation or failure of parts resulting in brake system malfunction.
2. Toyota warranty on brake system components (if it was still in effect).
3. The big one... Liability. I don't want to give lawyers anything they can sink their teeth into if there happens to be an accident.

The plug and play type don't interface with my mechanical brake system and are effectively factory sanctioned.

$0.02

/ MaxBrake Review #8  
I agree with Ace10, completely. Anytime that you add an aftermarket device to a hydraulic brake system, that is a deal breaker for me. If the Factory puts a part into the system, it's been tested and approved.

/ MaxBrake Review #9  
You guys worry too much. Do you change your oil? You are taking on and off a oil filter. I guarantee you the ratio to oil filter failures to brake fitting failures is 10 to 1.

Any vehicle made in the last 25 years or so has dual reservoir master cylinders. You have a circuit to the rear brakes and a circuit to the front brakes. Even if it blew the fitting which will never happen if installed correctly you will still have 1/2 your brakes along with the capability to manually apply the trailers brakes via the slide bar on the Max Brake unit just like any other brake controller.

Like I said before you have a dozen connections or more in a typical brake system. Adding one more is not a concern to me at all.

Chris

/ MaxBrake Review #10  
Chris,
You're talking about a company that has marketed this product since 2008 (copyright)according to the site. Not at all a time proven product. When it comes to brakes, particularly with many thousands of pounds behind me,yes I do worry. I'll take the time proven design every time.
If you're not concerned to be a "product tester" with your brakes, by all means go to it!