Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge?

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #111  
To have over 1,000 ft.-lbs. of torque is probably more of a bragging right than having an actual use for such power. Besides, how often are those foot pounds accessible in real life?
I'm guessing that the numbers are often closer to a derated engine's as the torque management does its best to keep the drive train alive.

I'm sure you are right as to availability of all that torque. Over on one of the RV forums I frequent, one of the guys has two Ford Powerstrokes. One is a year or so old, the other he just got new, spec'd with the optional "High Output" Powerstroke that supposedly has 1200 lb-ft of torque, 200 lb-ft more than the older truck. Yet the older truck will outrun the newer one, and he's trying to figure out why. Only thing anyone can come up with is the torque management on the new truck is preventing all that power from being applied to the drivetrain.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #112  
Anything over 850 ft lbs is just a waste.
But great for guys with small twig & berries syndrome.

I’ll just keep pulling heavy trailers with a de-tuned Cummins while the guys with 1,000+ drive around mostly empty

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #113  
I'm sure you are right as to availability of all that torque. Over on one of the RV forums I frequent, one of the guys has two Ford Powerstrokes. One is a year or so old, the other he just got new, spec'd with the optional "High Output" Powerstroke that supposedly has 1200 lb-ft of torque, 200 lb-ft more than the older truck. Yet the older truck will outrun the newer one, and he's trying to figure out why.
It could also be because the new one isn't broken in yet.

Not that it could've had anything to do with normal break-in, but my C&C ran extremely poorly at first - to the point that I ordered a pickup with the HO engine as a replacement.

Well, when going to pick up the new one the odometer showed 4,001 miles at the gate. There was a decent snow storm going on, but even with only an empty 30' gooseneck behind me I could tell that something had changed, for the much better.

About 450 miles later, with the new 3500 on the trailer, the C&C ran better than it did at first without towing anything. And it kept performing noticeable better until reaching about 10,000 miles.

I'm guessing that there could've been something in the programming that held it back initially, then just normal engine break-in, but either way, I sold the new pickup with some 1,000 miles on it and keep enjoying the C&C.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #114  
Take a big hit?

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #116  
keep in mind that a Cab/chassis truck will be 'detuned' compared to a pickup bed truck. This is with Ram and might be on Fords also.
Some of the cab and chassis dually configurations also come with a narrow rear end, at least they used to, while the pickup duallies have the wide rear end. Perhaps a difference to keep in mind depending on one's application.
Ain no way I’m reaching over a seat to crank a passenger window and as far as manual shifting goes with todays Allisons & Aisins, well I’m done driving relics. The autos are faster, safer and get better traction in the snow and much better to plow with and off road while pulling a trailer.
I just got my 1999 F150 back on the road. Both power windows still work, but the auto locks don't work (both sides). Some of the bells and whistles just wear out. I find the power lock on the tailgate on my RAM is annoying.
None of my vehicles have navigation, but it is a nice feature in some cars I've driven. I like Google Maps, and it is addictive with hunting for addresses or driving out of town. Hmm, a backup cam or a hitch cam would be nice. ;)
I do like features like the old push button radios. Very intuitive, and easy to use without taking the eyes off the road to make sure one is hitting the right button on a touch screen.
I've put a lot of miles on manual transmissions. I don't believe there is a real safety issue, and it does help keep one in tune with one's vehicle. Unfortunately most of my recent pickups have had automatics.
Last summer I started driving my RAM 1500 (towing) up the back hill on my property. I had to put it in 4x4 low, and get a bit of a run up the hill. I discovered that I was losing all power about halfway up the hill, ultimately losing traction, and either stopping on the hill, or putting myself into a dangerous backward slide. The problem was the pickup upshifted at the bottom of the hill, then couldn't downshift quickly enough when it needed power. I now lock it into 1/2 gears. That wouldn't have even been a thought with a manual. Nonetheless, the pickup making bad shifts, and putting me in a dangerous situation left a bad feeling with me.
All the electronic wizardry in the engines. On a good day they can help diagnose their faults (if only they'd tell you what is wrong rather than that stupid check engine light), and the vehicles have gotten to be extremely reliable. Newer vehicles are cleaner burning, and fuel efficiency has also been creeping up. Just think of the older pickups that got less than 10 MPG (empty?), and many people considered them well worn at 100,000 miles. Things have changed.

As far as snow and ice, I like my nephew's Honda Insight hybrid. A pair of paddle regen shifters on the steering wheel helps one bleed off speed without touching the brakes. Too bad it doesn't have AWD.

I've heard that some of the new diesel pickups come with Jake Brakes. That would be a very nice feature, and could help with control on hills, as well as slippery road surfaces.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #117  
I've heard that some of the new diesel pickups come with Jake Brakes. That would be a very nice feature, and could help with control on hills, as well as slippery road surfaces.

Old news. Dodge/Ram has had oem exhaust brakes since '07 with GM and Ford about 10 years later. Prior to that you could add them yourself. I installed my first one in '90.

A true Jake brake is a engine compression brake, pickups use exhaust brakes.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #118  
Anything over 850 ft lbs is just a waste.
But great for guys with small twig & berries syndrome.

I’ll just keep pulling heavy trailers with a de-tuned Cummins while the guys with 1,000+ drive around mostly empty

Pretty sure you wouldn't mind a 400/1000 Cummins in your 5500 if it were available. My '21 2500 has 370/850, I for sure wouldn't waste it if I had more...

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #119  
Nah, I don’t need it. I’d rather these clowns add more reliability, longer warranty or longer lasting sheet metal.

Think of what wears out in the last 20 years.

I don’t see a LOT of blown diesel motors, but when they do it’s 20K. I do see a lot of bad sensors and rust is still an issue. I’d rather the R&D go there instead of the race to 500HP.

Last edited:
   / Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #120  
One of the main reasons I bought my 2022 Ram Larimie is for the 12" screen.

I use the navigation almost every time I drive anywhere more than a few miles. Actually, I use Google Maps connected to the screen through my Iphone and CarPlay. I prefer Google maps because I can see the sattelite view on my screen, and it is big enough for me to actually see stuff.

I found out about the 12" screen when I drove a friends Ram one day and his had the big screen. I just had to have it. I told my friend he cost me $66,000 by letting me drive his truck...