Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge?

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #181  
Yep! Guilty as charged!

So I will help steer it back!

Another thing I love about the RAM is the factory service brakes on mine have reached 50,000 miles and not needed replacement.
My mind is blown by that because of how much weight we tow with it. I have towed over 250 loads of hay at about 15-18 tons each load. Many smaller towing jobs on small trailer, too.

The factory exhaust brake and the Aisin downshift feature double the life of the brakes-maybe more than double.

Everyone hates the new gizmos on trucks, but the old transmissions didn’t downshift and most older trucks don’t have a factory exhaust brake, either.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #182  
There are more engines. You did quote "5.7L" above which is used in a variety of vehicles from the 1500 to the 2500 to the 3500, and I believe is the same engine for the different pickups, but hopefully with gas specific transmissions.

I hadn't run into the 6.2L gas Supercharged at 702 hp RAM 1500. A bit silly to pick up one's groceries.

There is also a 6.4L gas engine at 410 hp that they put into their 2500 Power Wagon 2500. I thought they didn't put the diesel into the Power Wagon, but it appears as if it now has one. I wonder how long until the Power Wagon gets that supercharged engine????
You usually get the excellent 8-speed behind the gassers, including the 6.4 in a 3500.

True, you don't need 650 lb.-ft. of torque in a 1500 to get groceries with it, but it sure makes it easier to pass someone on the short stretches of straight roads we have here.

Unfortunately, that 6.2 is in its swansong state now. with the last cars (that I know of) available with it being the Durango and the TRX.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #183  
Another thing I love about the RAM is the factory service brakes on mine have reached 50,000 miles and not needed replacement.

The factory exhaust brake and the Aisin downshift feature double the life of the brakes-maybe more than double.
I think you're being pessimistic here. A friend of mine tows for a living, currently with a 5500, but his 3500s and 4500 were traded in at a bit shy of 500,000 miles - all with factory pads and rotors.

Yes, that exhaust brake works.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #184  
We want to get a Gladiator rubicon. I really wanted the little diesel.
Just because.
I'd say you lucked by not getting one of those engines.

Someone I know has two 1500s with them, and has been talking about buying a spare engine.
Supposedly the early ones had a 15% failure rate, with the newer ones being much better, yet not without their issues.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #187  
Sometimes I wonder why locking/unlocking hubs were forgotten. Yes, perhaps a pain to jump out and change them, but fewer parts moving 100% of the time.

I agree. My 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually has the aftermarket "free-spin" kit with Mile Marker hubs installed on it so I doubt I'll ever need to do any work to the front end.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #188  
........and the twin i-beam design had its own quirks too, like the changing camber. At least they finally abandoned that design after all these years.

The 55-year reign of Ford's Twin I-Beam - Hagerty Media
I remember those days and people complaining about alignment on Ford. GM finally worked the kinks out of its design but before they did they had 2 years of some big complaints. Contractors had some major problems with some of their heavier models. It gave Ford a leap in market share.

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #189  
Did a little more truck shopping today.. Drove a 2023 Denali 1500.. Nice truck..but too many gadgets that will inevitably become problems.. Ended up with a Toyota Tundra Limited. Hopefully it will be a good truck

/ Maybe a new truck Ford or Dodge? #190  
Last edited: