McKee snow blower sheer pin question

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #11  
Here is the B-222A Blower manual.
It is a PDF file. The pages are not as clear as the original scanned images. If someone needs better images I can email the JPG files.

Attachments

• Kubota B-222A Blower.pdf
    899.7 KB · Views: 797
   / McKee snow blower sheer pin question #12  
Sorry - been away for a few days. If you use that slip clutch you should be able to just put it on the PTO shaft and hook your drive shaft to it. On the snowblower end you then would use the appropriate yoke splined on -- no shear bolt required -- the slip clutch is protection and you can use the slip clutch for other implements.
I might be tempted to drill a hole in the shaft and mount the yoke that way with a shear bolt as you described if you wish to be "frugal":p
regards
Steve

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question
Here is the B-222A Blower manual.
It is a PDF file. The pages are not as clear as the original scanned images. If someone needs better images I can email the JPG files.

Thanks Sam .... Your PDFs help

And yes Steve .... I am frugal!

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #14  
I just had the sheer pin portion of the PTO shaft on my McKee 72" snowblower apart. The first picture shows the assembled shaft. The two parts shown in the next photos are held together with a snapring. The sheer bolt is a grade 5 3/8" bolt. The sheer bolt is 2" o.c. from the pto centerline.

The last photo is the sheer bolt on my Toro Groundsmaster snowblower. I think it is about 4' wide. The sheer bolt on that blower is also 2" o.c from the pto. It is a 1/4" bolt.

I have never broken either sheer bolt on the pto shaft, but I have broken the sheer bolt on the McKee for the auger.

Mark

Attachments

• mckee3.JPG
    mckee3.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 725
  • mckee1.JPG
    mckee1.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 515
  • mckee2.JPG
    mckee2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 483
  • hanson2.JPG
    hanson2.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 812
   / McKee snow blower sheer pin question #15  
From most of my experience with blowers, the sheer bolts are always GRADE 5 bolts.
5, while fairly 'stiff' are also brittle enough to make a clean sheer.
Softer will tear rather than 'cut cleanly' and mess up the flanges.

If you have a sheer bolt on both the auger and turbine there would be no need to have any 'slip clutch' in the drive train.
Might be however an idea to clean up the faces of the sheer flanges as rust will kinda act like a brake shoe.
Might even dab a little greese on the faces.
Always use fibre lock nuts and don't over tighten, just 'snug' the nut.
I buy my sheer bolts in quantity as the go from time to time.

Chunks of frozen ice are capable of sheering the turbine 'sheer' fairly often.
The auger generally only if a rock gets in there.

I'd say that just about every 'non sheet metal' component, ie; chain, sprockets and bearings are off the shelf items at a bearing wholesaler.

Good luck, looks like a nice blower.

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #16  
Rushvill's pictures look pretty much like what I was trying to describe -- funny, I never broken the auger sheer but have replaced the driveline one more than a few times. I would be surprised if a farm supply could not get that type of shaft for you. As Piloon says -- no need for the slip clutch then

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question
I just had the sheer pin portion of the PTO shaft on my McKee 72" snowblower apart. The first picture shows the assembled shaft. The two parts shown in the next photos are held together with a snapring. The sheer bolt is a grade 5 3/8" bolt. The sheer bolt is 2" o.c. from the pto centerline.

The last photo is the sheer bolt on my Toro Groundsmaster snowblower. I think it is about 4' wide. The sheer bolt on that blower is also 2" o.c from the pto. It is a 1/4" bolt.

I have never broken either sheer bolt on the pto shaft, but I have broken the sheer bolt on the McKee for the auger.

Mark

What they say is true ... a picture is worth a thousand words. The images really help!

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #18  
Thanks for the pdf, really appreciate you taking your time to do this for the group!

Regards, Scott
Alias, Farvernugen

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #19  
I search the manual book of the B222 for a while. Thank's a lot for a PDF. The PDF do not include the page 10. If you still have the jpg files, I can do a new PDF with the jpg if you send me or just put the jpg file of page 10 on the forum if you want.

/ McKee snow blower sheer pin question #20  
Here is page 10.pg 10.jpg