melting brass

/ melting brass #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Broke a brass fitting on an air tank, on a truck, so it is not real easy to get to, not impossible, just not a lot of room. So, is it possible/practical to melt the brass with an acetylene torch to remove it? I have never had much luck with easy-outs, but I can go get one. Fitting was a 1/2"x3/8"reducer.So the 3/8"end broke in the tank.
Thanks

/ melting brass #2  
Hammer in a square shank screwdriver and turn with a wrench...or buy an easy out...torches cause fires when you least expect them!

/ melting brass #3  
Dont hit it in hard it will spread the brass making it harder to get out. Use pb blaster might help

/ melting brass #4  
About half the time I worked on something in a restricted location, it would have been easier or quicker to remove the item or obstruction for better access.

Bruce

/ melting brass #5  
About half the time I worked on something in a restricted location, it would have been easier or quicker to remove the item or obstruction for better access.

Bruce

Its a air tank trying to take it off is a can of worms , It probably has 4 to 8 other lines on it , Been there done that:(

/ melting brass #6  
A little heat gentle easy out 1st.

/ melting brass #7  
Use an internal pipe wrench and be gentle. Brass chews up easy. I have also drilled nipples out just smaller than the OD of the male threads; then collapse the wall with a small cape chisel. Careful not to mess up the female thread in the tank. I have also had to silver solder the new brass nipple in the tank if female threads get messed up. Helps to chase the female threads with a tap to clean up the threads.

Ron

/ melting brass
Fixed.. Gave up and took the tank off, easy out and heat did not work, so I drilled and retapped. Used iron fittings to replace the brass, didn't twist that one off. :) Cost-$20 for a set of bolt extractors, I'll use/break them some time, $6 for a 1/4" NPT tap, good chance I'll use it again some time if I can find it, $4 for the fitting. But tank is back on and no leaks.

/ melting brass #9  
Good job:thumbsup:

/ melting brass #10  
Actually in this case ice may have worked better than heat...Brass reacts and expands to heat quickly...you often see brass coils or springs in thermal switches and mechanical servos etc...

FWIW...
The coefficient of thermal expansion of brass (per degree C) is :
18.7 x 10^6
and that of iron is : 12 x 10^6