Members in their 70s?

/ Members in their 70s? #1  

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
At 63 I can still do anything I want or need to do, cut trees, split wood, build, load and unload lumber, hook up attachments, etc. just a little slower than I would have 10 years ago. Like the song says, “I’m not as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was.” Obviously that only holds true for so long. So if you're 70+ and if you could go back and give advice to your 10 or 15 year younger self, what would that be (as far as living the rural life and keeping up with a large property) and if you just want to throw in general life advice as well, have at it.

/ Members in their 70s? #6  
Be careful how you lift things. I tore a rotator cuff, probably by jerking on a bale ring or loader bucket at around 68. It appears that old joints won't stand the strain they used to.

I'm seventy for.a.few more weeks.

Last edited:
   / Members in their 70s? #7  
89+ here.....but do all that I want to do.....only slower and usually feel rough the next day. I guess that genetics, luck and only a few bad habits set the pace.....Staying "active" all my life probably helped too.

Here's some pics of recent activities.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 180
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 166
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 152
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 162
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 179
   / Members in their 70s? #8  
78. Been on 90 acres in Sierra Nevada Foothills for 36 years.

First thing I would tell myself is "do it all over again" as we love it here, hard work and all.

The second thing - and very important - would be to be very, very careful where you plant new trees because they have a way of becoming really big trees that may create a fire hazard and they can fall over / branches break and thus threaten buildings and can also ruin a view. It is a lot of work - and or expense - to take care of the problem now that they are 40- 50-60 feet high... a little forethought would have been great.

I am sure there is a lot more I would counsel the younger me to do or not do, but this will do for now.