Mesquite Grubbing suggestions

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions
<font color=blue>A Georgian wanting to grow mesquite for grill flavor is like a Texan wanting Kudzu for some greenery. </font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Now THAT'S funny!! (mainly because it is sooooo true!)

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions #12  
I think that you may need to get your applicators license (class + registration fee). Call your county extension AG agent for more info or a suggestion for another herbicide that you can use for cut stump application. The method that I described is the most efficient means that I know of for controlling unwanted woody vegetation, just cut then squirt.

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions #13  
"A Georgian wanting to grow mesquite for grill flavor is like a Texan wanting Kudzu for some greenery."

BD,
That is one of the funniest and most clever one liners I've heard! Living in E. TN and having to fight Kudzu encroachment, I truly appreciated it. ;)

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions #14  
Ranchman,

As hard as it is for an orange blooded die-hard to admit it, when I have agricultural questions I look to the aggies for answers. The Texas Agricultural Extension Service has an excellent pamphlet titled, "Brush Busters, How to Beat Mesquite". It can be found at http://tcebookstore.org/pubs/L5144.pdf

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions
Doh! That hurts!

Q: How does an Aggie find out more info regarding plants on his ranch?
A: A T-sip reminds him the "A" in "A&M" stands for Agriculture! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks for the link... I did a little more searching based on what you posted and found <A target="_blank" HREF=http://texaserc.tamu.edu/catalog/topics/Rangelands.html>this web page</A> that has that publication plus some more in case others are interested. (looks like I have some more reading to do as well!)

I guess that helps prove the case that even a T-sip has some redeeming qualities! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions #16  
RanchMan,

It was my pleasure. My Dad was an Aggie as are most of my best friends from home, but I just couldn't see going to a school where they didn't have any women.

The closer I get to doing this ranching thing full time, the more respect I develop for TAMU and the resources they make available.

Good Luck with your mesquite. We are going to fence about 10 acres in part of an old oil field camp that have almost 40 years growth in. We are going to build there and preserve the big mesquites. We plan to try the goat method of reclamation in there outside of the yard area, fence lines and a 300 yard rifle range that will have to be bull dozed or root plowed. If the goats work out, we are going to expand them into a pasture that doesn't have cattle in it. If they don't work out, we'll have a pachanga and Bar-B-Cue the lawn mowers.

/ Mesquite Grubbing suggestions #17  
Must have been a pretty proud T-sip to figure that one out!

jrpoux '87