Metal Bldg/Pole barn

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills

We're looking to construct a bldg to hold hay (and be accessed by a stack wagon--18 ft required), equipment, etc.

Here are some considerations:

Metal vs wood (cost, etc)
Need at least 50x100, with the capability to add more space
May wait to do a concrete floor, and some of the siding
(good or bad idea?)
We've got a fairly level site with good fall around it, in the woods so we can conceal it well but with good access

There are "internet specials" here and there amongst metal sellers, and the Mennonites build around here also (but I have not found them to be price pushovers by ANY means). I have a guy with a crew that will erect whatever I buy, metal or wood, by the hour, so I can help and use my equipment (have a little).

For example Rhino (Denton, TX) has a 75x133 of some sort, that has an 18 ft side to it. Morton and some of those guys, pricey for the kind of structure I am aiming for. It's a farm not Grosse Pointe.

I've read some of the prior threads but I'd just love to have the latest from you. Thanks in advance,

Jim

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn

We're looking to construct a bldg to hold hay (and be accessed by a stack wagon--18 ft required), equipment, etc.

Here are some considerations:

Metal vs wood (cost, etc)
Need at least 50x100, with the capability to add more space
May wait to do a concrete floor, and some of the siding
(good or bad idea?)
We've got a fairly level site with good fall around it, in the woods so we can conceal it well but with good access

There are "internet specials" here and there amongst metal sellers, and the Mennonites build around here also (but I have not found them to be price pushovers by ANY means). I have a guy with a crew that will erect whatever I buy, metal or wood, by the hour, so I can help and use my equipment (have a little).

For example Rhino (Denton, TX) has a 75x133 of some sort, that has an 18 ft side to it. Morton and some of those guys, pricey for the kind of structure I am aiming for. It's a farm not Grosse Pointe.

I've read some of the prior threads but I'd just love to have the latest from you. Thanks in advance,

Jim

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #3  
I would opt for the metal if it was me . There are pros and cons to both . The new metal buildings look great. Since your’s will be concealed that’s not a deciding factor. One thing I like about the metal is the roof panels that let light through... once agin since you will be storing hay this is not a big deal . In my area most of the new barns are going up as metal .

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #4  
I would opt for the metal if it was me . There are pros and cons to both . The new metal buildings look great. Since your’s will be concealed that’s not a deciding factor. One thing I like about the metal is the roof panels that let light through... once agin since you will be storing hay this is not a big deal . In my area most of the new barns are going up as metal .

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #5  
IMO, metal is the only way to go. With 50 x 100 you can have a clear span and driving in and stacking hay is much safer and easier. They can pour concrete just where your uprights are and you can add concrete floor and siding any time. Also, you can add to the length of the building anytime, usually for less money than working with wood.

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #6  
IMO, metal is the only way to go. With 50 x 100 you can have a clear span and driving in and stacking hay is much safer and easier. They can pour concrete just where your uprights are and you can add concrete floor and siding any time. Also, you can add to the length of the building anytime, usually for less money than working with wood.

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #7  
For the size your looking at and the fact that you don't want to do it yourself, just help out with the construction, I'd go metal.

You can do the floors at any time, but the price of concrete any getting any cheaper and it's allot easier to do it before the building is in place. Easier also means cheaper.

Haveing concrete in place means no headaches or issues down the road. Having gravel or dirt means years of wishing you had concrete in place. If you can afford it, you shouldn't even question the choice.

The real question is how thick???

You said you will have it hidden from view by the woods. I'm a big fan of trees, just not anywhere close to my buildings. Branches and leaves are just the beginning. Roots and the entire tree falling are also real concerns.

I put in the semi clear panals in a roof once and would never do it again. They do add allot of light. An amazing amount that I didn't expect. The problem with them is getting a watertight seal. It's temporary at best. The more sealant you put down, the better it is, but it's never permanent and they only have a very short warantee to begin with.

Mine were on a 5:12 pitch and totally sealed. After a year, they started to leak on really windy storms. You just can't stop the movement or the damage from the heat over time.

For prices, I always go to www.muellerinc.com

They have a great website and plenty of options. Then you can just figure out what you want, what you can afford and some of the options available.

How many man doors and where to put them?

How many tractor doors, how big and where to put them?

What type of tractor door do you want? I really, really like and recomend roll up doors. They are a two man job to put in and a royal pain, but once you have them, you won't want anything else.

Windows? I'm against them persoanally, but lots of folks like them and there is allot to be said for free light.

Bathroom or other utility rooms? At the very minimum you need a sink and a water spicket. A toilet is a bonus, especially if you get dirty and don't want to track it all into your house when you need to use it, or have friends over helping you out and they need to use a toilet.

You don't need to finish off these rooms, but you do need to plan their location and put in the lines if you want to have a concrete floor.

And the most important thing to remember is to take lots of pictures and post them here for all of us to see and learn from.

Eddie

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #8  
For the size your looking at and the fact that you don't want to do it yourself, just help out with the construction, I'd go metal.

You can do the floors at any time, but the price of concrete any getting any cheaper and it's allot easier to do it before the building is in place. Easier also means cheaper.

Haveing concrete in place means no headaches or issues down the road. Having gravel or dirt means years of wishing you had concrete in place. If you can afford it, you shouldn't even question the choice.

The real question is how thick???

You said you will have it hidden from view by the woods. I'm a big fan of trees, just not anywhere close to my buildings. Branches and leaves are just the beginning. Roots and the entire tree falling are also real concerns.

I put in the semi clear panals in a roof once and would never do it again. They do add allot of light. An amazing amount that I didn't expect. The problem with them is getting a watertight seal. It's temporary at best. The more sealant you put down, the better it is, but it's never permanent and they only have a very short warantee to begin with.

Mine were on a 5:12 pitch and totally sealed. After a year, they started to leak on really windy storms. You just can't stop the movement or the damage from the heat over time.

For prices, I always go to www.muellerinc.com

They have a great website and plenty of options. Then you can just figure out what you want, what you can afford and some of the options available.

How many man doors and where to put them?

How many tractor doors, how big and where to put them?

What type of tractor door do you want? I really, really like and recomend roll up doors. They are a two man job to put in and a royal pain, but once you have them, you won't want anything else.

Windows? I'm against them persoanally, but lots of folks like them and there is allot to be said for free light.

Bathroom or other utility rooms? At the very minimum you need a sink and a water spicket. A toilet is a bonus, especially if you get dirty and don't want to track it all into your house when you need to use it, or have friends over helping you out and they need to use a toilet.

You don't need to finish off these rooms, but you do need to plan their location and put in the lines if you want to have a concrete floor.

And the most important thing to remember is to take lots of pictures and post them here for all of us to see and learn from.

Eddie

/ Metal Bldg/Pole barn #9  
you ain't kidding about concrete prices going sky high. I just got prices ranging from $125 - $200 per yard. Will cost me about $2500 for a 4" slab in my barn.

And thanks for the Mueller link. They have some nice buildings.