Metal Building Advice

/ Metal Building Advice #1  

Biodiesel

Tractor
None Yet
Hey guys. It's been a while since I have posted, but I have been reading in the mean time and soaking it all in.

I figured since a lot of you guys have metal buildings you could give me some advice.

My dad is replacing his shop this year and is looking to put in a metal shop in its place. I have been looking around on the internet at different places to buy this building, but I am getting really bogged down looking at literally hundreds of different places to buy from.

We are planning on putting the building up ourselves and it's only going to be about 25ft by 30ft or so.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any good companies that you could recommend for us to take a look at.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Metal Building Advice #2  
I had a 30 foot by 40 foot pole barn built and it cost me $6000 for the basic building. $2000 for cement sitting on 2 inch sheet foam. $1500 for 1 inch foil backed foam on the out side walls under the siding. $1000 to put 7/16 inch OSB on the ceiling and $350 to put 14 inches of blown in insulation in the attic.
I spent months shopping and could not come up with any thing that fit my needs any cheaper or better.
I live in central Michigan where the Winters can get cold and it costs me between $20 to $30 a month to keep the building at 50 degrees even during the coldest weather.
I had a few small metal buildings in California and they sweat real bad in warm weather so I had composition shingles on the roof rather than sheet metal.
The building went up quick and I feel that the pole building is one of the stronger, easier to build and cheapest ones out there that I found.

/ Metal Building Advice #3  
If you were closer to TX I would recommend <font color="blue"> Mueller Steel Buildings </font> . I put up a pre-fab kit 30'x40' 5 years ago that I have been very happy with (see picture). I had a contractor do the concrete slab. I called on some friends to help with the frame and roof panels. All the rest I did by myself. The frame was simple bolt together and everything else went up very easy. They are in TX and neighboring states but I don't think they are any closer to Alabama than Louisiana.

Attachments

• 661499-barn_small.jpg
    661499-barn_small.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 646
   / Metal Building Advice #4  
Bill,

I have been looking at Mueller for metal buildings and was wondering if there anything you would change in your building or anything you wished you would have added?

froggy

/ Metal Building Advice #5  
The basic building kit came with one 10'x10' roll up door and one walk thru door. I bought an extra 10'x10' roll up door so that I could drive in either end or straight thru if I wanted. I also bought two small windows for the front and a larger window on one side. I also bought their insulation kit and guttering. I also added plumbing and put in a bathroom and a kitchen counter with sink since it is on land that we don't live on yet. We sometimes go up and spend the weekend.
The only thing I would do different is put in regular garage type doors instead of the roll ups. The roll ups don't seal off the opening very well and can't be insulated.

/ Metal Building Advice #6  
Thanks for the input.

/ Metal Building Advice #7  
We put up a 40 x76 SteelMaster arch building last summer, and we have been very pleased with it. Relatively easy construction for a small crew of inexperienced hands.

/ Metal Building Advice
Thanks for the info guys. We still haven't made a final decision on what to do yet, but when we do build I will be sure and take some pictures.

/ Metal Building Advice #9  
Depending on if you want it finished out on the inside or not, pour a stem wall and install steel trusses. Have the trusses built with 8-10' legs depending on the stem wall height. Trusses like this can be placed on 10' centers, so you won't need many and they can be had up to 54' or move open span.

/ Metal Building Advice #10  
Here's what I am talking about. I have a LOT of trusses made by this company. The main page only shows sloped side legs, but most that they built now are straight side legs. Adams Truss