Metal finish on parts in contact with soil

/ Metal finish on parts in contact with soil #1  

wwwfarmer

Tractor
/
What is the usual metal finish used on parts that are in constant contact with the soil, for example subsoilers? I've ordered hardox 450 for my project and it has an ugly red surface, covered with promotion messages. This is my first time using it. I expect paint to wear off in the first few minute of use exposing the red surface underneath, not sure if red surface is also just a paint.

hardox.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Metal finish on parts in contact with soil #2  
That is just primer to keep it from rusting in the warehouse. So it can be labeled.

/ Metal finish on parts in contact with soil #3  
What is the usual metal finish used on parts that are in constant contact with the soil, for example subsoilers? I've ordered hardox 450 for my project and it has an ugly red surface, covered with promotion messages. This is my first time using it. I expect paint to wear off in the first few minute of use exposing the red surface underneath, not sure if red surface is also just a paint.

View attachment 702210

Very little you can do to not remove paint or other treatments to the metal with usage in dirt.
If you will be using it again in a few days to weeks, I would not be to concerned with the surface rust as surface rust as well as paint and primer will be removed from the metal with usage.
For longer term storage, clean any dirt/mud and loose paint from the metal, then give it several coats of a good quality primer (I like self-etching primers ad they seem to hold better) then if you want it painted use your choice of paint and color.

/ Metal finish on parts in contact with soil #4  
I use fluid film on attachments I have. Some people mix used oil and deisel fuel

/ Metal finish on parts in contact with soil #5  
The very best thing you can do about the actual ground engaging parts of implements is to stop worrying about it. The next best thing to do if it really bugs you is to hit is with a shot of fluid film. This will prevent the formation of that film of rust that will likely form between uses.

Of course every time you use it, it will be shined up and will rust again unless you hit it a lick with fluid film. As for the parts that don't engage the ground they will weather and turn dull pretty quick if stored outdoors. Hit that with some clear Krylon every once in a while. Will look better than colored paint and you can "paint" over labels without destroying them. It will look like new and is easy to do. Repeat as necessary.