Metal in stump - another tree story.....

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Some of you all read the thread I started recently about the tree that has grown up through the middle of a tractor tire. Well, today I think I bettered that one today!

Occasionally I bush hog some at the neighbors house (next to my parents), who have a very sizable piece of property. I will mention the house is a very old, two story, southern colonial style mansion probably built in the late 1800's. (I need to ask one day and see if the current family knows more precisely when it was built). This particular area of their huge yard (about a 1/4 acre) used to have lots of cane growing wild until a few years ago when the husband (now deceased) had a trackhoe and dozer come in, dig up three big pits, and the dozer pushed all the cane into the pits and then covered the pits back up.

Of course, some of the cane keeps coming back and that's mostly what I was cutting. So today I came across something pretty unusual. A rotten hardwood tree had fallen over at the edge of this area, leaving a stump that was about a foot high. After several passes around this stump I noticed it had an unusual shape in it, so after I finished cutting I walked over to look at it. To my surprise, there was a rather large piece of metal that was embedded down into the stump, which the tree had obviously grown around for many, many years!!

The first picture was close to original as I could replicate. When I first noticed it, the piece was firmly embedded in the rotten stump, meaning that there were no voids between the metal and the wood. I think that at some point during my work, when I pushed the rest of the tree into a pit (that are now somewhat sunken in) with the FEL, it disturbed the metal and loosened it up some, or maybe I just hit the stump with the bush hog.

The second picture shows a piece of wood that I pulled off with my hand that was behind (and on top of) of the metal and clearly shows the smooth surface of the wood meaning it was totally flush with the metal for a very long time as it grew around the metal object.

The third picture was taken standing directly over the top of the stump looking down at it. And the 4th picture is the actual piece of metal, after I pulled it out of the stump. It looks like a rotating part of some piece of machinery, but probably not a wheel for a cart or wagon. There is part of a 3" wide spoke that is broken off on the inside radius (look at the bottom of the first pic). Also, both ends appear to have been broken off, and one end was twisted some just before it broke off. I didn't think to get any measurements, and there were some casting numbers one side, but I didn't take time to clean it up to see if they made any sense or were perhaps a date.

Since there is cane in this part of their yard, it makes me wonder if a previous owner processed it there many years ago, and maybe this piece of metal was part of that operation? I know when my parents moved there 10 years ago, this little area was FULL of huge cane growing 20 ft tall or more and it was so thick you could hardly walk through it. We do have cane growing naturally in this area, but I don't think it's "sugar" cane. Or maybe it is?

It looks like after this piece broke, someone buried it halfway into the ground, and then the oak tree came along and grew up almost completely around it. No telling how many years that took!!! This kind of stuff just fascinates me. I was in a bit of hurry (to get finished and go hunting) so I didn't mention it to anyone in the family. I left it in their yard and it will be a week or two before I get back up there to show it to them.

PS- I will post one more pic in a followup post, since the attachment manager will only allow 4 pic's per post.

Attachments

• metal in stump 001.jpg
    metal in stump 001.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 555
  • metal in stump 002.jpg
    metal in stump 002.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 536
  • metal in stump 003.jpg
    metal in stump 003.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 476
  • metal in stump 004.jpg
    metal in stump 004.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 483
   / Metal in stump - another tree story.....
Ok, here's the last picture that I took of the other side of the metal. One side had a piece of wood stuck to it that I was unable to get off with my hands, didn't want to mess it up with a tool so I left it on. Going by memory, I think there was a nut and bolt going through the "wheel" near where the spoke is, and the wood had grown around one end or the other of the bolt which is why it was "stuck" to it.

Attachments

• metal in stump 005.jpg
    metal in stump 005.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 462
   / Metal in stump - another tree story..... #3  
It never ceases to amaze me what kind of metal objects turn up inside trees (and unfortunately, sometimes I ruin a chainsaw chain finding them). Around here, people have found civil war cannon balls inside trees. Imagine cutting into one of those!

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #4  
The easiest way to find metal objects in a tree, is to have a small custom saw milling business. My Dad had a Woodmizer LT 40 mill. The "stuff" he found in logs... Didn't take long to figure out, if you saw black in the wood. STOP..!! He finally found a real use for the metal detector I got him for Christmas several years before, besides looking for stuff around old houses, and buildings.

In 8 years, he sawed roughly 160,000 b.f. on that little mill, before he got sick, and wasn't able to saw anymore. Out of that, there are 2 - 5 gallon buckets, a 2 gallon bucket, and a couple gallon paint cans of metal he found. Horseshoes, gate hinges, and even a railroad spike, found in a large pine tree, out of someone's front yard.

Still in his shop, right where he left it. Just because... :)

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #6  
Wouldn't it be something if you found a cache of gold or silver coins or something of historical value in an old tree stump?:)

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #7  
I am glad you found it before you had a ..."What"... moment while using the rotary cutter.

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #8  
Some of you all read the thread I started recently about the tree that has grown up through the middle of a tractor tire. Well, today I think I bettered that one today!

Occasionally I bush hog some at the neighbors house (next to my parents), who have a very sizable piece of property. I will mention the house is a very old, two story, southern colonial style mansion probably built in the late 1800's. (I need to ask one day and see if the current family knows more precisely when it was built). This particular area of their huge yard (about a 1/4 acre) used to have lots of cane growing wild until a few years ago when the husband (now deceased) had a trackhoe and dozer come in, dig up three big pits, and the dozer pushed all the cane into the pits and then covered the pits back up.

Of course, some of the cane keeps coming back and that's mostly what I was cutting. So today I came across something pretty unusual. A rotten hardwood tree had fallen over at the edge of this area, leaving a stump that was about a foot high. After several passes around this stump I noticed it had an unusual shape in it, so after I finished cutting I walked over to look at it. To my surprise, there was a rather large piece of metal that was embedded down into the stump, which the tree had obviously grown around for many, many years!!

The first picture was close to original as I could replicate. When I first noticed it, the piece was firmly embedded in the rotten stump, meaning that there were no voids between the metal and the wood. I think that at some point during my work, when I pushed the rest of the tree into a pit (that are now somewhat sunken in) with the FEL, it disturbed the metal and loosened it up some, or maybe I just hit the stump with the bush hog.

The second picture shows a piece of wood that I pulled off with my hand that was behind (and on top of) of the metal and clearly shows the smooth surface of the wood meaning it was totally flush with the metal for a very long time as it grew around the metal object.

The third picture was taken standing directly over the top of the stump looking down at it. And the 4th picture is the actual piece of metal, after I pulled it out of the stump. It looks like a rotating part of some piece of machinery, but probably not a wheel for a cart or wagon. There is part of a 3" wide spoke that is broken off on the inside radius (look at the bottom of the first pic). Also, both ends appear to have been broken off, and one end was twisted some just before it broke off. I didn't think to get any measurements, and there were some casting numbers one side, but I didn't take time to clean it up to see if they made any sense or were perhaps a date.

Since there is cane in this part of their yard, it makes me wonder if a previous owner processed it there many years ago, and maybe this piece of metal was part of that operation? I know when my parents moved there 10 years ago, this little area was FULL of huge cane growing 20 ft tall or more and it was so thick you could hardly walk through it. We do have cane growing naturally in this area, but I don't think it's "sugar" cane. Or maybe it is?

It looks like after this piece broke, someone buried it halfway into the ground, and then the oak tree came along and grew up almost completely around it. No telling how many years that took!!! This kind of stuff just fascinates me. I was in a bit of hurry (to get finished and go hunting) so I didn't mention it to anyone in the family. I left it in their yard and it will be a week or two before I get back up there to show it to them.

PS- I will post one more pic in a followup post, since the attachment manager will only allow 4 pic's per post.

Any chance that this is rail road rail? I see your in South Carolina. When Sherman came through during the Civil War they would tear up rail road tracks, build a fire, heat the rails and bend them around a tree, making them impossible to use. I believe they would call them Sherman's bow ties. Could this be a remnant of the Civil War?

/ Metal in stump - another tree story..... #9  
The outlaws like Jesse James were rumored to have hidden gold in tres along the Missouri river. T Hey had too much gold and would hide it so the horse could swim the river. Quit metal detecting on the ground I was told.

/ Metal in stump - another tree story.....
Any chance that this is rail road rail? I see your in South Carolina. When Sherman came through during the Civil War they would tear up rail road tracks, build a fire, heat the rails and bend them around a tree, making them impossible to use. I believe they would call them Sherman's bow ties. Could this be a remnant of the Civil War?

I really don't think it was rail. It has a very even radius for one thing. Plus it has the remnants of what appeared to be a "spoke" on the inside radius, indicative of some sort of wheel. Besides all that, it just wouldn't be big enough for typical size rail. But your point about it possibly being CW era is very valid.