Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid???

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #1  

jorswift

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300, Ford Jubilee
So I went to change out all hydraulic fluid today. When I got to the screen it is a bit concerning as there are shavings and chunks of metal! Lots. Should I be concerned? ‘01 JD 4300 hydrostat

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #2  
So I went to change out all hydraulic fluid today. When I got to the screen it is a bit concerning as there are shavings and chunks of metal! Lots. Should I be concerned? ‘01 JD 4300 hydrostat
How many hours? If it's the first time they've been changed since new that would be normal from manufacturing. If you've changed it several times and never had anything, I'd be more concerned.

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid???
How many hours? If it's the first time they've been changed since new that would be normal from manufacturing. If you've changed it several times and never had anything, I'd be more concerned.

Not 100% on hours. I’m second owner. Maybe 1500 hours or so. The meter doesn’t work too well. First time I have serviced myself. No one ever mentioned it before.

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #4  
Has this been serviced before while you have owned it? If so talk to whoever did the sevice. At 1500 hours and metal in the filter. I would be very concerned. Call your dealer for advice. Don't use the tractor until you do get JD machnics advice as this could get expensive fast.

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #5  
I'd put the clean screen back, fill it, and run it.
Keep an eye out for any malfunction.
After a few more running hours, inspect the screen again for any build-up that can substantiate your concern. If none, then can relax.

I'd use the vacuum shop-vac technique to draw a vacuum on the tranny while removing the screen for inspection. Should lose very little oil if someone holding the vac hose doesn't let it leak. Saves draining 7 gal of hyd. oil just to inspect the screen.

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #6  
If it is functioning ok, I would follow instructions above and not be too concerned until you have a reason to be concerned.
It may be the first time it was ever cleaned. We have a few here who think changing oil or doing maintenance is a waste of money.

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid???
Thank. I bought it used from a owner 6 years ago out of town. Tractor doesn’t get used too much and has been deff over due for flush/change. I am thinking it’s from someone trying to change gears (A/B/C) while it’s in motion as it’s a Hydro. I’ve let buddies borrow it and heard it grind before, not cool! Attached are some pics of the pieces I was able to save.
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4897.JPG

/ Metal shavings in hydraulic fluid??? #10  
I worked at a dealer as a mechanic. First change its normal. Even second change you'll see some. Change a big log skidder and you'll see a bunch.