metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage?

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
After a recent issue, I may get a new set of front wheels & tires and curious if many people have had metal stems break when a rubber might have just flexed out of the way? tires are 50psi max and speed when roading (very rare for me) is less than 20mph so those don't come into play. Equipment does not sit out in the sun, so that's less of an issue for me than maybe someone else.

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #2  
After a recent issue, I may get a new set of front wheels & tires and curious if many people have had metal stems break when a rubber might have just flexed out of the way? tires are 50psi max and speed when roading (very rare for me) is less than 20mph so those don't come into play. Equipment does not sit out in the sun, so that's less of an issue for me than maybe someone else.

My rims have small metal rings protecting the stems, which are also metal. I have never broken a stem off, either metal or rubber. I did replace the rubber stems on my zero turns with metal due to likey UV damage and subsequent leaking / cracking. The mowers don't stay outside when not in use, but they're out 4-5 hours per weekday working.
If you're concerned about snapping them off and getting new rims anyway, see if you can get rims with the stem protectors integrated on the rim.

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #3  
I’ve buried my old NH 4835 tractor many times and put it thru some rough areas and never snapped off a stem.

My JD stems look a lot more exposed so they do make me a tad nervous

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #4  
My rims and stems are just like RJCorazza. A steel ring protects the metal valve stems. Previous tractor had rubber valve stems. I've never had problems with either type.

Another suggestion. Analyze the conditions that led to your "recent issue" and see if there isn't some alternate way to handle it.

AND - you should not need to purchase new rims. A local welding shop could probably add the steel rings to your existing rims.

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #5  
The issue is today, most rubber valve stems are made in China and don't last. Why I run metal stems, even though the sealing base is still rubber. I use Milton stems myself.

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #6  
Here's another vote for metal valve stems. I set about checking tire pressures on my bx25d this morning. Imagine my surprise when, on the left rear, a twist on the cap took out with it the entire metal tube containing the core. I was able to prevent losing the beet juice by lowering the backhoe stabilizer, thus taking the load off the tire. When I took it down to the tire shop, the guy said he often sees this with rubber bases in beet juice. He put in a metal one.

/ metal vs rubber valve stems; is flexible more important than strength to prevent breakage? #7  
I prefer metal stems secured to the rim and protected with a metal ring.

If you load your tires with calcium metal stems suck because they corrode and fail.