MF 231S Lift arms will not lower

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower #1  

Tjmanitou

Tractor
MF 231S
My lift arms will not lower any longer but do have hydraulics and they lift with no issue. This problem started with a slow moving drop when a brush hog was on the 3pt. Now after it was removed I can not lower the arms. I have removed the top plate and checked all the linkages. I could lower the arms with a 10 ft cheater bar which shot fluid out of the standpipe. I am looking for any help on what to look for to better debug this issue. I saw a few other threads on the pressure control valve and wanted to know if this could be the problem?

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower #2  
I will assume this issue started with the brush hog going on.
Look behind your right heel, there is a "response control" lever, this governs the DOWN speed of an attatchment.( Note if that part of the tractor is very dirty it will be invisible)
Shift the slide lever all the way back, and this should let the 3ph down, if this is the problem. If the slide is set for a heavy attatchment like a brush hog then the 3ph won't go down like you describe. Note, when you put the next attatchment on you will need to adjust the slide for more resistance to make the attatchnent go down slowly and contact the ground gently and not damage itself by dropping hard.
good luck.

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower
I will assume this issue started with the brush hog going on.
Look behind your right heel, there is a "response control" lever, this governs the DOWN speed of an attatchment.( Note if that part of the tractor is very dirty it will be invisible)
Shift the slide lever all the way back, and this should let the 3ph down, if this is the problem. If the slide is set for a heavy attatchment like a brush hog then the 3ph won't go down like you describe. Note, when you put the next attatchment on you will need to adjust the slide for more resistance to make the attatchnent go down slowly and contact the ground gently and not damage itself by dropping hard.
good luck.
This is in FAST position and does not make any difference. I have removed the side plate and manually activated the linkage in the full DOWN position…..same as from the control lever. It still will not lower.

This problem gradually got worse over time so was wondering if something is plugged in the pump. Is there a pressure relief valve or anything that I can try that will allow me to manually lower the lift arms?

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower #4  
I would bet your problem isn't hydraulic at all. The bushings where the rock shaft fits through the lift housing are filled with crud. The shaft is simply stuck in the bushings.

I ran into that problem once. I had to remove the lift housing, turn it over and press the shaft out. Cleaned the shaft and bushings, then put it all back together.

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower #5  
I would say Harry is correct because the 3-point hitch is gravity down. Having said that, it could also be the draft control linkage is screwed up. I had that happen on an Oliver and the lift arm were always up until I fixed the linkage.

I would bet your problem isn't hydraulic at all. The bushings where the rock shaft fits through the lift housing are filled with crud. The shaft is simply stuck in the bushings.
I ran into that problem once. I had to remove the lift housing, turn it over and press the shaft out. Cleaned the shaft and bushings, then put it all back together.
Just to confirm are you referring to ram cylinder shaft? Once I was able to remove oil from the ram cylinder, the arms swung freely. This is what lead me to believe there was something wrong with the relief valve or some linkage affecting this in the pump.

Here is some additional info……I was able to force the lift arms down by using an 8 foot cheater bar. With the plate off the standpipe and the DOWN speed set in the fast position, once the arms moved fluid shot out of the standpipe. Then the arms moved freely.

/ MF 231S Lift arms will not lower #8  
I doubt the fluid you saw came from the standpipe. With the small plate off, the standpipe is connected only to the pump. Another port an inch or so away from the standpipe leads to lift cylinder and that would be where the fluid came from. With the cover off the fluid in the lift cylinder is no longer trapped so pressure in that passage is no longer a factor. I still maintain that your problem is mechanical. When lift arms are fully raised something must be binding and preventing them from dropping. If you put the cover back on and try it again what happens?

I could not get the arms back down with the cheater bar when plate over the standpipe tube is on.

I doubt the fluid you saw came from the standpipe. With the small plate off, the standpipe is connected only to the pump. Another port an inch or so away from the standpipe leads to lift cylinder and that would be where the fluid came from. With the cover off the fluid in the lift cylinder is no longer trapped so pressure in that passage is no longer a factor. I still maintain that your problem is mechanical. When lift arms are fully raised something must be binding and preventing them from dropping. If you put the cover back on and try it again what happens?