MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #1  

Jason1010

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2554 & Massey Ferguson MF 431
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to see if there is anything else I should check.

MF431, Perkins 1103, Delphi pump. Under 300 hours on tractor.

Tractor sat, under cover, for several months this summer.

Recently went to start it and it wouldn't fire off. Checked the cutoff solenoid and it was functioning properly.

Opened the fuel filter drain valve and did not notice any water coming out.

Decided to change the fuel filter. What I believe to be algae was present in the old filter.

Drained all the fuel out of the fuel tank, running it through a see-through inline filter to see if there was anything nasty in the fuel tank.

Nothing nasty observed in the see-through inline filter while draining tank.

Removed the brass fuel line fitting at tank. No screen behind fitting.

Replaced rubber line from tank to electric lift pump. Put new diesel in tank with Diesel Kleen biocide and Lucas.

Filled new Wix filter with diesel, added some biocide and Lucas.

Turned key to 'On' and ran lift pump for time MF manual states (3 minutes I believe).

Crank it and engine immediately fires and wants to go to wide open throttle. I shut it down before it goes too high.

Try a few more times and same results.

Short of pulling the pump (and possibly injectors) for service, is there anything else I could try?

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #2  
Not familiar with MF 431. Is there a governor? Linkage somewhere stuck in full-throttle position ?

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm
Governor should be internal to pump. I believe pump is a Delphi CAV DP210.

I've had linkage completely disconnected from pump and same results.

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #4  
I've had some luck with using either Stanadyne or ATF in freeing up stuck items in the injection pumps on these. Have had to replace a couple though on rather low hour TYM's that used that pump on the Perkins 1103 & 1104. Does yours have the fuel lift pump built into the fuel filter housing too? If so what I've done before is fill up that with a small bottle of Stanadyne and remainder with ATF up to about an inch from the top. Run it enough times till the mix is in the injection pump and let sit overnight or 8 hours. Typically frees up the governor.

Yes, it has the integral electric lift pump and filter.

The Stanadyne and ATF sounds like it is definitely worth a try before pulling the front of the engine apart.

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #6  
OK, yeah, think you have a pretty good chance of getting it unstuck though. I had at least 3 of them in TYMs do the same thing and it worked. Perkins made these really "fun" to r&r injection pumps on. Pretty good little engines though.

I should have the stanadyne part of formula at parts store tomorrow.

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #8  
I've had some luck with using either Stanadyne or ATF in freeing up stuck items in the injection pumps on these. Have had to replace a couple though on rather low hour TYM's that used that pump on the Perkins 1103 & 1104. Does yours have the fuel lift pump built into the fuel filter housing too? If so what I've done before is fill up that with a small bottle of Stanadyne and remainder with ATF up to about an inch from the top. Run it enough times till the mix is in the injection pump and let sit overnight or 8 hours. Typically frees up the governor.
Sounds like a really good idea. I think the governor is the culprit. I'd even be very cautious and tap on the injection pump housing with something that will jar it but not crack it. Wooden hammer handle ?

/ MF 431 - Injection pump problem? - sat and then fires off to high rpm #9  
Some, not all of the 210 pumps had shut off levers..
u could start it and pull the shut off lever VERY SLOWLY to regulate the rpm’s..
DONT SHUT IT OFF USING THE LEVER.. otherwise it’ll stick in the shut off position..
The part that’s stuck is called the “metering valve”..
If it were a DPA, lifting the top cover and freeing the mv would be no problem.. but on a DP210, there’s all sorts of linkages that have to be engaged at the same time, so it’s not advised to lift the cover..

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
...what I've done before is fill up that with a small bottle of Stanadyne and remainder with ATF up to about an inch from the top. Run it enough times till the mix is in the injection pump and let sit overnight or 8 hours. Typically frees up the governor.
Sounds like a really good idea.

Giving this a try. Pulled fuel filter, dumped contents, put in the Stanadyne and ATF. Started it and then shut off about a dozen times, trying not to let revs get too high. Now giving it some soak time.

Some, not all of the 210 pumps had shut off levers..
The part that’s stuck is called the “metering valve”..
If it were a DPA, lifting the top cover and freeing the mv would be no problem.. but on a DP210, there’s all sorts of linkages that have to be engaged at the same time, so it’s not advised to lift the cover..
I don't see any indication of a shut off lever on this pump and there isn't a shut off rod at operator's station. It looks like the fuel cutoff solenoid does it all.

It's unfortunate that it is so difficult to get to a troublesome piece...

Thanks all for the replies. I'll let it soak and see what happens.