MF 50E Power Shuttle Hydraulic Clutch Pack Removal - Thoughts - Ideas - Assistance

/ MF 50E Power Shuttle Hydraulic Clutch Pack Removal - Thoughts - Ideas - Assistance #1  

HurleyByrd

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 50E
I had posted this in the General Repair the other day and have received no replies. I am hopeful this is a more appropriate location.

I have a 1987 MF 50e Skip Loader with a Power Shuttle transmission that has lost reverse. The power shuttle is foot operated and electrically operates a hydraulic valve (and throttle) that sends fluid pressure to a hydraulic clutch pack inside the tranny. One half of the pack (actuated by one foot pedal) is forward and the other is reverse (another foot pedal). I suspect the seals in the hydraulic clutch pack are shot.

I have a real MF shop manual specific for this tractor and have gone through all the troubleshooting checks and inspections trying to confirm the seals are bad. There is appropriate fluid pressure, fluid flow is correct (directionally and GPM), it even has cleaned or new filters and fluid too. What also leads me to believe the reverse seals are bad is that the other three hydraulic packs in this system (forward, 4 wheel drive and the IPTO) are operating correctly and are strong. Plus reverse didn't just go away overnight, it has been progressively worsening over the last few years.

The next step is........... pull it into my shop, split the ole girl, pull the tranny, remove the hydraulic pack, rebuild and reinstall, reverse all steps, etc..........

Before I split this tractor (and it weights 14,000lbs), I simply wish to bounce this off as many people as possible.
I'm a pretty fair mechanic and not dumb enough to think I can cover all the bases nor know it all.
I would like to hear what others have to say before jumping into this job.

1: What are your thoughts that the seals are truly bad? What else could it be?
2: What are your thoughts on splitting this (or any) heavy tractor?
3: What to look for once split? Other maintenance ideas?
4: Has anyone here ever rebuilt one of these clutch packs?
5: ????

You get the idea. This is a pretty significant job, although a fairly simple one actually............ but it is a very HEAVY job.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pete
PS: Included is the clutch pack exploded view. For orientation of the view, you would be standing at the tractor's front left wheel.

Attachments

• MFHCP.jpg
    MFHCP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 659
   / MF 50E Power Shuttle Hydraulic Clutch Pack Removal - Thoughts - Ideas - Assistance #2  
I had posted this in the General Repair the other day and have received no replies. I am hopeful this is a more appropriate location.

I have a 1987 MF 50e Skip Loader with a Power Shuttle transmission that has lost reverse. The power shuttle is foot operated and electrically operates a hydraulic valve (and throttle) that sends fluid pressure to a hydraulic clutch pack inside the tranny. One half of the pack (actuated by one foot pedal) is forward and the other is reverse (another foot pedal). I suspect the seals in the hydraulic clutch pack are shot.

I have a real MF shop manual specific for this tractor and have gone through all the troubleshooting checks and inspections trying to confirm the seals are bad. There is appropriate fluid pressure, fluid flow is correct (directionally and GPM), it even has cleaned or new filters and fluid too. What also leads me to believe the reverse seals are bad is that the other three hydraulic packs in this system (forward, 4 wheel drive and the IPTO) are operating correctly and are strong. Plus reverse didn't just go away overnight, it has been progressively worsening over the last few years.

The next step is........... pull it into my shop, split the ole girl, pull the tranny, remove the hydraulic pack, rebuild and reinstall, reverse all steps, etc..........

Before I split this tractor (and it weights 14,000lbs), I simply wish to bounce this off as many people as possible.
I'm a pretty fair mechanic and not dumb enough to think I can cover all the bases nor know it all.
I would like to hear what others have to say before jumping into this job.

1: What are your thoughts that the seals are truly bad? What else could it be?
2: What are your thoughts on splitting this (or any) heavy tractor?
3: What to look for once split? Other maintenance ideas?
4: Has anyone here ever rebuilt one of these clutch packs?
5: ????

You get the idea. This is a pretty significant job, although a fairly simple one actually............ but it is a very HEAVY job.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pete
PS: Included is the clutch pack exploded view. For orientation of the view, you would be standing at the tractor's front left wheel.
Not familiar with this model, but a hydraulic pressure test should come first. Easier said than done sometimes.

Keep good common sense and block the front axle so it doesn't rock. Go ahead and adjust tire pressure too. Makes it roll easy.

Not sure where your steering box is or if it's hydraulic, but you may want to put new tie rods on or weld washers on them.

Silicone your footstep bolt holes on the way back up

Watch out for the shifter springs and detents when you pull the steering off the top case. Replace broken springs and worn detents.

The condition of the clutch pack and availability of parts is going to be your deciding factor. Also, look at your oil supply lines, shafts, and seals.

There may be more to it than this, but these are some ideas that I practice as a mechanic. It's the small things that are overlooked that can make or break a job.