MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives

/ MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #1  

cardelt

Tractor
MF GC1720
I am looking to do 50 hr service on my Massey Ferguson GC1720 TLB, but am having a difficult time finding one source with fluid and/or filter alternates. Can find a thread or page that hits 1 or a couple, but haven't been able to find a source that covers from top to bottom so am looking to fill in any gaps or find the same if someone already has one.

As best I can determine:

Fuel Filter - OEM (3608255M1) $9.75 Baldwin (PF937)
Carquest (86262)
Fram (C7516)
Hydro Filter - OEM (625887M91) $31.60 No filters found to cross reference
Oil Filter - OEM (3710280M3) $15.57 Have seen both Mobil One - M1-102 and M1-103, but not sure which is correct
Amsoil ASF84
Baldwin B131
Carquest 85360
Fram PH2951
I know there are a ton others for this one, and several just within Balwin, Carquest brands themselves, but wanted to keep to fairly easily obtainable options
Air Filter - OEM (6259119M91) $56.10 No filters found to cross reference

For fluids:

Engine Oil - OEM (3933543M1) MF 15W40 CJ4 T6 Rotella 15W40
Hydro Oil - OEM (3933058M2) HC Plus 10W40 Permatran 821XL
Have seen a few others cross referenced, but seem to be similar price
Differential - OEM (3933058M2) HC Plus 10W40
Coolant - OEM (3496971M1) Agco Premixed Coolant Any standard coolant?
Grease - OEM (3496391M1) Agco EP II Grease Any high temp grease?

I guess in the process of making the list to check I was able to solve some of the alternatives, but saw limited other choices for fluids, and wasn't able to find any substitutes for Hydraulic Oil Filter or Air Filter which of course are the most expensive of the bunch. Also saw a few additional options for Hydraulic Oil, but everything seemed to be similar priced, so not sure it would make sense to get something other than factory recommended.

Looks like some OEM costs a little more, others a little less, so wondering if people have had better experience with other brands or if it's more a locality preference. I personally swear by Mobil 1 products and use in conjunction with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and even with almost constant towing and hauling and 10k mile changes, often still brown at oil changes. Obviously want to do whatever I can to optimize/extend life of the tractor, and don't believe warranty has long since passed so just trying to determine whether to spend a little more and have everything to OEM specs, or simplify things a bit and choose oils and get any filters I can locally.

Any help filling in any gaps in the above table, or shooting any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

/ MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #2  
Engine oil - Mobil Delvac Synthetic 5W40, or 0W40 for colder climates. Been using 0W40 for 15+ years. Most of use is blowing snow in winter, and stationary use with woodchipper in summer.
- Rotella T5 and T6 are also popular in 5W40 (can be hard to source lately)
Hydro Oil - Kubota SUDT2 (better than Permatran by the numbers)

/ MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #3  
Maybe....

Tractor Filters.jpg

/ MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #5  
   / MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #6  
I am not telling you what to do, but.....
I just can't understand why you would want to try and save $2 or even $20 on a filter for a $20-30K machine?

Are they EXACTLY the same? How do you know? Is the micron rating the same? Is the bypass rating the same? Is the number of pleats / filter media the same? Just because they "cross reference", doesn't mean they are the same filter.

Engine oil filter, well, that I can agree on an aftermarket.... but, I change oil religiously at 100 hours wether it needs it or not.

I am just trying to understand why so many people want to use aftermarket filters......

/ MF GC1700 Series Filter & Fluids Alternatives #7  
Bought a GC1725MB last year and was due for the 50 hour oil change this spring. From all my research on the web (because there's no bad information at all on the Interwebz, is there?!?) the "correct" replacement filter from Mobil was the M1-102 so I purchased one locally... and this is what I found compared to the original filter (Mobil1 on left, OEM on the right):

Filter_Bottom_s.jpg

Filter_Side_s.jpg

Now, the center "port" is the same size/thread so it seemed to mate well to my tractor, and it seemed to me that the seal was still mating well to the engine block. ( I wish I would have taken a better picture of where the dust/crud that had accumulated around the outside of the old filter - you can still see remnants where the outer ring is discolored, but I had already cleaned it up quite a bit. ) There is one spot that does concern me a little:

Engine_Filter_Port_s.jpg

That spot looks like it could be a 'weak spot' where the filter gasket may not have 100% contact - but I used the filter anyway thinking the increased surface area of the filter material may be better for the engine if it mated well. I also wondered if the smaller filter was just a "starter" filter - kinda like ink cartridges that come with printers that are only half full. Thus far, I have not seen an oil leak or any other issues with using the larger filter... but I've been concerned. I'm a computer guy that owns a tractor - not a tractor guy that owns a computer. :)

Ideas? Thoughts? Did I do something boneheaded? I do hope this info helps other owners, though...