MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms
yes if tractor up and float engaged it WILL drop almost instantly.
thing is if you were to actually hit float you could NOT raise front. but fact you can then is drops is the question.

not sure on 2300 series but on the 2400 and 1700 series pushing fwd until you feel a click puts it in float. usually it takes a little force.
if you raise front, purposely use lever to lower an inch you WILL be out of float if valve body working right.
at that point what happens is what to look for.
slowly settle over time...IMO normal wear and tear no worries.
Immediate drop...something going on. possibly leak by in valves engaging float when not manually put onto float.

we just need to see if you are bumping he float position somehow after the initial lift and the valve body is reacting.
thats the simplest explanation, its actually much more involved.
yeah so i checked it out and it sounds like something is not functioning right. i found "float" the tractor does have it. i raised it again, making sure not to hit float and same thing happened. (front end lowered, over 2-3 seconds)

i raised the arms and stood in the bucket jumping up and down and it didn't lower at all. not sure if that means anything or helps to figure out the next step.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #12  
yeah so i checked it out and it sounds like something is not functioning right. i found "float" the tractor does have it. i raised it again, making sure not to hit float and same thing happened. (front end lowered, over 2-3 seconds)

i raised the arms and stood in the bucket jumping up and down and it didn't lower at all. not sure if that means anything or helps to figure out the next step.
Your problem is either the valve or the cylinder seals. The only way to determine which is by testing. The easiest way is start with the cylinders and test like I described above. Here is a video describing what to do.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #13  
The one thing I keep going back to is "worked in summer.." so this is either something that failed since then, it is an older machine... or, something being adversely affected by colder temperatures. Since some hydraulic circuits (stabilizers) are holding, it would point to a valve block, but is it possible to test in a heated space? That could eliminate the seasonal cause, and then, to check the actual hydraulic system, the implement circuits (stabilizer, 3-point, BH, FEL) to see if it is isolated to one or more - valve failure? - or can be traced to the central point which could be anything from water in the fluid, a gummed up filter (there are two..) or a failed pump.

I love problem solving, but sometimes that means having a good relationship with your local small-engine/equipment shop. At least for diagnosis.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #14  
Most likely a piston seal failure with one or both of the lift cylinders. It really is the only thing that makes sense. The OP will know in about two minutes if he does the test.

Because it is the lift cylinder it would only be noticeable trying to retract the cylinder as in lifting the front wheels. Extending you really would not notice it as much although it could have somewhat reduced lifting capacity. Because it is drifting only by extending leads to a seal failure.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms
thanks for the video, and other inputs guys.

Today i disconnected the "lift" line at the joystick (valve block) when i tried lowering the arm, it hesitated for a second and then it actually LIFTED the arm/bucket. so it seems, according to what you're saying and that video, that my piston seals are letting fluid past and raising the arms/pistons. it would not come down at all.

i've got a couple hydraulic shops here, i'll probably just take them both there to have replaced since i dont feel like messing with it.

thanks again for the help!

and on the topic of cold weather: it may be affecting the seals, but it also probably means that they are on their way out anyways, and will need replacing soon.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #16  
Good for you diagnosing the problem instead of throwing parts at it. Now you know the problem is in the piston seals and will not waste anymore time or money.