MF135 Seat Bolt question

/ MF135 Seat Bolt question #1  

briaineo

Tractor
MF 135
Hi, new to this forum as of yesterday, I didn't realise there was a dedicated Massey section until now so sorry for the duplicate post in Parts/Repairs.

Just a quick question on how the seat frame bolts to tractor (60's Massey 135):

Did an internet seach but couldn't find the answer

I soaked both of the nuts in penetration oil that hold the seat frame to the tractor; I attempted to remove the better looking one of the two nuts and it sheared straight off.

I'm guessing theres not much hope for the other one as the threads that would normally be visable when in place have literally dissappeared with decay.

Any tricks on getting the remainder out? I haven't gone near the totaly rusted one yet. Wouldn't have much faith in it coming out even with heat.

Do these thread into the top section of the tractor or are they splined?

thanks

/ MF135 Seat Bolt question #2  
front one is a 7/16 unc boltx1" ...the rear one is a special one with a long tip on the inside guiding a rod

/ MF135 Seat Bolt question
front one is a 7/16 unc boltx1" ...the rear one is a special one with a long tip on the inside guiding a rod

Its the rear one that snapped off, difficult to remove then?

Can I drill it out?

What kind of rod is it guiding and for what purpose?

thanks

/ MF135 Seat Bolt question #5  
20171027_034210.jpg

/ MF135 Seat Bolt question #10  
Can be replaced by a bolt 7/16unsx1"

The short answer is Yes - 7/16"UNC x 1" might be a tad short - from memory about 3/4" of thread in the casing. With a spring washer and through the seat frame 1&1/4" might be right. You need to extract the remains of the rear stud though - soak it for a couple days with suitable fluid and be patient. Alternatively, drill the stud accurately down its centre and chase it with a thread tap.

When you bolt the seat on again ..... grease the threads generously! :thumbsup: