MF240 Hydraulic Question

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I just purchased a 4wd MF240 with a front end loader on it. Apparently it has remotes for a closed hydraulic system which the loader is quick connected to because when the remote is engaged to provide flow to the loader the hydraulics "deadhead" and the engine loads bad and brings the rpm way down. Is there a valve that I can get to switch out from the closed valve to an open valve or a way to modify it for flow through?

20220413_181753.jpg20220413_181847.jpg

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question #2  
Something is definitely not right. From looking at your loader valve, I see 7 hoses. 1 is for power in and should come from the pump. 4 go to the cylinders on the loader. 1 is return to tank and the last one should be Power Beyond that goes back to feed the 3 pt and remote valves. That valve is open center.

The loader should not be fed by the remotes.

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question
The loader should not be fed by the remotes.
Yeah, it seems to not be flowing back through the remotes. It's deadheading there. The control valve on the loader is fine.

I might have to plumb it like the loader on my 231.

OK, I got it figured out thanks to the breakdown drawing here. This particular loader valve has the ability to be run on either open or closed center hydraulic systems. If you look at the drawing, there are three options. Open, Closed, and Beyond. It makes a difference which insert is used in the valve as to what response you will get. I was able to convert the closed center insert into an open center insert by simply using a cutoff wheel and cutting the length down so that when inserted into the valve it allowed fluid to flow back to the tank. The longer fittings stop the flow from returning. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Open or Closed Center.jpg

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question #6  
I am still missing something here. Your picture shows 7 hoses on your valve. That indicates you have Power Beyond or should have. So the sleeve that should be installed is the center one in the drawing.

I am still missing something here. Your picture shows 7 hoses on your valve. That indicates you have Power Beyond or should have. So the sleeve that should be installed is the center one in the drawing.
That is how it was plumbed when the previous owner had it. The beyond port went to a backhoe at that time. That owner didn't sell me the backhoe attachment so the beyond hose was just still on the tractor in that pic. Yes, it had that center sleeve, but I was able to plug it and cut it off which turned it into the open center sleeve. I'm glad I figured it out. Very easy and simple fix once I understood what was happening.
20220502_123928.jpg20220502_124018.jpg

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question #8  
So did the Power Beyond hose loop into another hose or was it just hanging capped? Normally that hose would loop back to power the 3PT and rear remotes. If it was just capped then it is a wonder that you did not damage the pump as it has continuous flow on that port with that sleeve before you modified it.

So did the Power Beyond hose loop into another hose or was it just hanging capped? Normally that hose would loop back to power the 3PT and rear remotes. If it was just capped then it is a wonder that you did not damage the pump as it has continuous flow on that port with that sleeve before you modified it.
It was just hanging there with a quick connect that would have powered the backhoe. The system would have worked great with the backhoe, but when it was removed it became nearly inoperable and you are correct, major pump damage would have occurred had I not remedied the problem.

/ MF240 Hydraulic Question #10  
Wow. Glad it worked out for you. That is interesting that there was not another hose for it to plug into. I wonder how the backhoe valve could have ever worked without a return line. Have you tested your remote valves and they still work?

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. Very interesting.