Buying Advice MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #1  

farmbacker

Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4x4
I have been looking for a utility tractor to replace our 2005 Mahindra 4wd. I looked in person at JD 5075e, Kioti RX7320, and Mahindra 6075, but thanks to some good info on this forum and some YouTube videos the MF4707 wound up at the top of the list.

A few days ago, I called my nearest Massey dealer (about an hour away) and he said he had 2 on the lot, both with the same specs (34 inch tires, cab with visioroof, FL loader, 3 remotes - basically fully loaded) and gave me a quote for about $60k cash price with a 3rd function kit included.

I took a drive out there the next day, and realized that one of the units was a 2020 and one was a 2019 - both out of Brazil and the date of manufacture only a few months apart. I was poking around the 2020 and the dealer came out with the key, so I drove it around for a bit. I was impressed, though the Soft Drive on the loader wasn't working. The dealer said you need to have some weight on it for the Soft Drive to kick in.

When it was time to talk turkey, the dealer wasn't willing to move very much, if at all, on price. I'll be using and relying on this machine daily on my farm, mostly for feeding and other loader work (some quite heavy), so I am content to pay so long as the unit is backed up by good service, and he assured me that farm businesses get first service priority (most of what's around hear would fall under the backyard/hobbyist category). Even though he's a smaller dealer, I felt pretty good about it.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I say I'd take the 2020 unit, and he says that when he does quotes, he quotes the oldest unit first. The 2020 would be about $700 more, there were no changes or updates between the '19 and '20 model years, and they were manufactured only a few months apart (which I had noted myself). Makes sense to me - not much sense for paying $700 for two numbers on the name plate. By this point, it was a bit after closing time, so I go home with a verbal commitment to take the 2019.

Later that evening, I realize that I never actually drove or set foot in the 2019! For $60k, I'd prefer to drive the actual machine, not just an example of one, especially since it is sitting right there. So I head back the next day (the dealer isn't there but it his wife is minding the shop) and ask to drive the 2019. His wife doesn't know much about the bigger tractors, but she gets me the key. I unlock the door, and the door handle sticks, feels broken. The plastic cover on the loader joystick is coming loose. Throttle can't go past about 1900, seems like linkage is messed up. Loader feels sticky moving to curl back. Engine is lugging at idle when moving the loader, something I don't recall from the 2020. Soft Drive doesn't work on this one either. Loader will stop suddenly when lowering from full height (or close to it). Steering felt just a bit funny, like a little jerky.

I park the tractor and tell the dealer's wife that I am not at all interested in the 2019, and she says her husband will give me a call on Monday.

Ok, long story but here's the question: was the dealer screwing with me or was this just an honest misunderstanding? I feel a little weird about the fact that he let me drive the 2020 unit, knowing that he had quoted me for the 2019, especially seeing how the 2019 had a whole bunch of issues not apparent on the 2020. Am I way overthinking this? I understand that many of the issues I described might be seen as nit-picky, and many or all may have been addressed as part of routine pre-delivery procedures... or maybe not. And $60k is a whole lot of pork chops (we raise pigs here), I don't really love the idea that I was potentially cruising toward wasting a bunch of time on piddly warranty claims. It made me wonder when they moved manufacturing to Brazil - maybe this one was the first one off the line, and the Brazilians were still getting some OJT?

Overall, I got a good feeling from the dealer, but I tend to be a pretty trusting person. Usually that works well for me... but not always. I am inclined to chalk it up to an honest mistake, or even just a misunderstanding, and buy the 2020. Am I being stupid?

Finally, is the dealer right about the Soft Drive? From what I saw on the YouTube, it should function even with an empty bucket. I could see/feel no difference with it switched on or off, and the Vahrenberg video seems to show a pretty clear difference.

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #2  
I can't help you with the Soft Drive. But, there should be a way of getting some weight in the bucket at the dealer to test it properly.

I've had 4 Massey tractors over the last 20 years. All were bought new. Two had issues, one was great and one was OK. My dealer was really good! I had a long relationship with him and absolutely trusted him. He worked with me thru the process and pricing on trading tractors was really fair. Two reasons that I still have a Massey tractor. Dealer was really fair and trade-in value locally for a different brand tractor was weak. If the trade-in value was stronger, I'd probably have a different brand tractor now. As a note, my dealer (smaller dealer) had several same model tractors with varying build dates. Price was the same for each one.

One thing that bothers me lately about Massey tractors is they've been changing engines/drivetrains in the 1700 series and now moved to 1800 series tractors. Concerns me about spare parts. Don't really know. With green and orange tractors it doesn't seem to be a problem getting parts down the road. But, they seem to be a lot pricier out of box.

With all that said, I think that you get a pretty good bang for the buck with a Massey tractor as long as the tractor doesn't have issues. I'd certainly want to talk with current owners of MF4707 tractors and do more research. I'd also want to try to get more information about the specific dealer you are talking to. I'd probably shy away from the 2019 tractor based on what you've described. Trust me, having a new tractor with issues totally sucks even if the dealer is trying to help! A lot of time, we were waiting on AGCO for an answer.

Good luck with your decision and purchase!

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions
Thanks for the response, onionfmr. Yes, absolutely it should be easy enough to put some weight in the bucket and test out the Soft Drive, that's a great point. It seems like owners here and on YouTube have been happy with the 4700, except for one guy here who was VERY unhappy. So looks like, as you say, they're good as long as you get a good one.

The Massey certainly seems to be the best bang for the buck, and I think I'd need to be looking at JD 5M series for something similar in terms of weight and capability. JD does have better dealer presence around here, but a new 5M is outside the budget, and I'm not interested in the E series. There's a couple of used 5085M's reasonably close, but only one priced low enough that I can include the inevitable repairs in the budget, and then we're looking at something quite a long ways from new. I haven't actually gone and looked at New Holland because it seems like there's more bad reviews out there, but maybe that's just because they sell more tractors. Mahindra actually has the best dealers (one of whom used to be a Massey dealer), but I haven't been totally impressed with my 6500. Maybe they've come a long way since 2005.

I realize now that it would be pretty impossible for anyone here to tell me if the dealer was messing with me or not. :confused: I'll talk to him today, and so long as he doesn't keep trying to push me into the 2019, I'll just forget about it.

It does look like Massey is stopping production of the 4700 series and moving to 4700M with Tier 5 emissions, so that's another concern I guess with respect to parts. From what I can tell, 4700M was supposed to be available this fall but maybe it was delayed because of COVID? The 4700M starts with 4708M, so not actually sure what the fate of the 4707 is...

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #4  
Do not know if I am to late on this but, you should get either of those for $49k before tax. I see many for that price on the net. Try Brunos in Arkansas or mm weaver in Philadelphia. Those are where some of us got deals. I got mine at Brunos and they ship nationwide for free and probably no sales tax if your out of state. Maybe that local dealer will match them on price. My local dealer did not want to deal and it was like i was to much trouble to deal with.

I love my tractor! Very comfortable with the air ride seat and quiet. No DEF and i can turn it up to 100hp with a chip if i need it. I can not help with soft drive but try to get the 936 loader if possible for the strength. I agree with you on the best bang for the buck at 50k. Let us know what you get.

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #5  
I have been looking for a utility tractor to replace our 2005 Mahindra 4wd. I looked in person at JD 5075e, Kioti RX7320, and Mahindra 6075, but thanks to some good info on this forum and some YouTube videos the MF4707 wound up at the top of the list.

A few days ago, I called my nearest Massey dealer (about an hour away) and he said he had 2 on the lot, both with the same specs (34 inch tires, cab with visioroof, FL loader, 3 remotes - basically fully loaded) and gave me a quote for about $60k cash price with a 3rd function kit included.

I took a drive out there the next day, and realized that one of the units was a 2020 and one was a 2019 - both out of Brazil and the date of manufacture only a few months apart. I was poking around the 2020 and the dealer came out with the key, so I drove it around for a bit. I was impressed, though the Soft Drive on the loader wasn't working. The dealer said you need to have some weight on it for the Soft Drive to kick in.

When it was time to talk turkey, the dealer wasn't willing to move very much, if at all, on price. I'll be using and relying on this machine daily on my farm, mostly for feeding and other loader work (some quite heavy), so I am content to pay so long as the unit is backed up by good service, and he assured me that farm businesses get first service priority (most of what's around hear would fall under the backyard/hobbyist category). Even though he's a smaller dealer, I felt pretty good about it.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I say I'd take the 2020 unit, and he says that when he does quotes, he quotes the oldest unit first. The 2020 would be about $700 more, there were no changes or updates between the '19 and '20 model years, and they were manufactured only a few months apart (which I had noted myself). Makes sense to me - not much sense for paying $700 for two numbers on the name plate. By this point, it was a bit after closing time, so I go home with a verbal commitment to take the 2019.

Later that evening, I realize that I never actually drove or set foot in the 2019! For $60k, I'd prefer to drive the actual machine, not just an example of one, especially since it is sitting right there. So I head back the next day (the dealer isn't there but it his wife is minding the shop) and ask to drive the 2019. His wife doesn't know much about the bigger tractors, but she gets me the key. I unlock the door, and the door handle sticks, feels broken. The plastic cover on the loader joystick is coming loose. Throttle can't go past about 1900, seems like linkage is messed up. Loader feels sticky moving to curl back. Engine is lugging at idle when moving the loader, something I don't recall from the 2020. Soft Drive doesn't work on this one either. Loader will stop suddenly when lowering from full height (or close to it). Steering felt just a bit funny, like a little jerky.

I park the tractor and tell the dealer's wife that I am not at all interested in the 2019, and she says her husband will give me a call on Monday.

Ok, long story but here's the question: was the dealer screwing with me or was this just an honest misunderstanding? I feel a little weird about the fact that he let me drive the 2020 unit, knowing that he had quoted me for the 2019, especially seeing how the 2019 had a whole bunch of issues not apparent on the 2020. Am I way overthinking this? I understand that many of the issues I described might be seen as nit-picky, and many or all may have been addressed as part of routine pre-delivery procedures... or maybe not. And $60k is a whole lot of pork chops (we raise pigs here), I don't really love the idea that I was potentially cruising toward wasting a bunch of time on piddly warranty claims. It made me wonder when they moved manufacturing to Brazil - maybe this one was the first one off the line, and the Brazilians were still getting some OJT?

Overall, I got a good feeling from the dealer, but I tend to be a pretty trusting person. Usually that works well for me... but not always. I am inclined to chalk it up to an honest mistake, or even just a misunderstanding, and buy the 2020. Am I being stupid?

Finally, is the dealer right about the Soft Drive? From what I saw on the YouTube, it should function even with an empty bucket. I could see/feel no difference with it switched on or off, and the Vahrenberg video seems to show a pretty clear difference.

It would be helpful for making dealer pricing comparisons if you would enter your general location in your profile.
MF4707 dealer prices can be wildly different between California, and Florida.

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions
I talked to the dealer, and I'm content to chalk the 19/20 unit differences up to a misunderstanding - I truly don't think anything nefarious was going on, but communication definitely could have better on both sides. In my opinion, he should have made it clear that the unit I was driving was not the one he quoted me for, even if the features and options were the same. And if the unit he quoted was not ready to test drive because it hadn't been through an inspection, he should have said that. And for my part, in hindsight, I should have called with my concerns instead of showing up the next day and asking to drive the 2019, especially since I knew he wouldn't be there.

Regarding the Soft Drive on the loaders, he told me it wasn't plugged in (the wiring harness, I assume). I guess it's hard to know someone else's business, but I think if I were a dealer I wouldn't let anyone test drive a machine that hadn't been through an inspection, especially something that is many tens of thousands of dollars.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge. He offered me the 2020 for the same price. I did get a quote from MM Weaver and it was about $56k (with shipping) with the same specs plus creeper gear (compared to $61k from the local guy, no creeper). I think the creeper option is about $1000, not sure that I really need it anyway. Reached out to Bruno's by email, didn't hear back. I decided to go local because I'd be very worried about warranty issues and Weaver is about 450 miles from me. This is a machine that we'll rely on on a daily basis, and it's worth a lot to me to have issues taken care of quickly. Worth $5k-$6k? Well, we'll see. I probably could have put the screws to the local guy using the Weaver quote as leverage, but he's a small dealer and I'm sure does nowhere near the volume as Weaver, and everyone has to make a living. I sell very expensive pork chops (worth every penny!), so I know the deal. If I can have a good working relationship with this guy after an admittedly kinda rocky start, then I won't mind at all spending the extra cash to get excellent (hopefully!) service. He assured me that farm business customers get service priority and he can have a tech on site same or next day.

Expecting delivery soon. hopefully early next week. I'm sure it will be awesome, I'll let you know.

We're in New England, will update profile. Thanks all for the feedback!

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #7  
I've been dreaming of a new 4707 this summer, but finances don't allow it. I've owned two Masseys and both have been outstanding machines (1540 and 1643).

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #8  

Late to the conversation.....I purchased a late '19 with the Visio roof, air seat, and upgraded size tires (34" rears), 84" bucket, wheel weights. $55,000 before tax (New York). I love it. No problems that you mentioned above with mine. The hydraulics are smooth as silk, although it does not have the soft drive. Only thing that I have to learn is the slower rev. I've been told that it's a tier IV emissions and I've been told it's because it's (fly by wire) throttle, no cable. It's not terrible, but was immediately noticeable. All in all, so far I love it!!

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #9  
With the soft drive make sure the valve to the accumulator is open I don’t think you need any weight on them. Look up vahrenberg impkements on YouTube he has lots of information

/ MF4707 new purchase advice and Soft Drive questions #10  
I have installed the soft drive on my 931x and it works great, even empty you can notice the difference. Will save wear and tear on loader bushings. Takes all the shock out of the loader.
Simple install, maybe 15 minutes.