Mid PTO Installation on L3130

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Reference: L3130 HST

In the very near future I am going to be installing a mid PTO. The instructions look pretty straight forward, but I am wondering if anyone has any tips to make it easier or things to look out for?

Any estimates on how much hydraulic fluid will come out? I want to make certain to have enough oil storage capacity on hand.

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #2  
Have a 15 gallon galvanized wash tub to drain my GL3130 into. Think there is over 11 gallons if I remember correctly.

David Kb7uns

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130
David_Kb7uns,

The tractor holds approximately 11 gallons by itself plus what is in the implements. With the multiple drain plugs I wasn't certain if it would all come out from this locations. Thanks for confirming it will all come out.

Thanks!

Anyone with experience installing the mid PTO and if there are any tips to aid installation or things to watch out for?

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #4  
I ordered my 4240 with it installed. Brady at Barlows said it was more work then they expected. If nothing else take pictures and post them here.

The mid PTO is on and it is relatively straight forward. The worst part about the job is contending with the hydraulic fluid and getting the drip to stop.

The mid PTO kit I used was off another tractor as part of my used snow blower purchase. This created one small problem. One of the brackets needed to be trimmed to clear a casting boss. If one looks at the parts manual for the mid PTO they will see there is an updated bracket that is chamfered at the lower corner. So if you purchase a new kit there will be no issues.

I left the hydraulic oil drip over night and it was still dripping 12 hours later. This is a problem in that no gasket is used and relies on RTV to seal. RTV needs a clean surface to seal against and cure before being subjected to oil. I wish Kubota would have used an o-ring seal between the case and mid PTO casting and not rely on RTV. I知 going to let this cure for several hours before refilling.

If someone has a specific question I壇 be happy to try and answer.

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #6  
Being that the port is on one side, you may wish to block up the rear tire on that side.

I had to pull a bunch of pto parts on my MF to replace a seal, I just parked it downhill on a big sandpile I had and didn't have to drain any fluid.

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #7  
The reason for all the plugs is there will be oil trapped in the rear part from the front area and each final drive also has a low spot. But it is correct that pulling any one plug will get you more oil draining then most drain pans will catch but to get a full drasin all plugs need to be rmoved.
Also on the mid pto install are there shims to set the gear clearance? Somebody else was looking at the Mid Pto a while back on a larger Grand L and they were told the tractor had to be split to install??

David Kb7uns

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #8  
The reason for all the plugs is there will be oil trapped in the rear part from the front area and each final drive also has a low spot. But it is correct that pulling any one plug will get you more oil draining then most drain pans will catch but to get a full drasin all plugs need to be rmoved.
Also on the mid pto install are there shims to set the gear clearance? Somebody else was looking at the Mid Pto a while back on a larger Grand L and they were told the tractor had to be split to install??

David Kb7uns

If I understood Brady at Barlows my GL4240 needed to be split to install the mid PTO but the cab models didn't need to be. Maybe there's a gear that's missing on the open station tractors now?

/ Mid PTO Installation on L3130 #9  
Well the missing gear would explain that, they must go to the expense on the cab model because it would be a lot more work to split the tractor. Have the service manual but they do not address instructions for adding options and wish they did.

David Kb7uns

The mid PTO is a bolt on. No case splitting is needed on the Lxx30 series and I highly doubt the Lxx40 is different. The instruction sheet that came with the PTO said it was good for all Lxx30 series tractors. If anyone is looking to add a mid PTO, it can be done by a single person without any real issues. Installation requires the bottom plate be removed (& discarded) and replaced by the mid PTO assembly. 6 bolts is all that is required. It can not get much easier. The parts list for the Lxx40 mid pto does not indicate any internal parts are needed. The Lxx40 kit looks very similar in principle to what I installed.

Removing the drain plugs in the rear axle assembly might have helped the oil dripping, but the jack stands were in the way. I did jack it way up in an attempt to alter the oil level, but it did not help. The bottom of the case was wide open so it does help to jack up on the side to aid fluid drainage (No drain port is involved at this point).

My tractor was probably more difficult than most considering the bulk of the backhoe subframe. It makes reaching the switch connectors somewhat difficult. Without the extra subframe access would be fantastic.

After letting the RTV cure for 6 hours I refilled the transmission and verify mid PTO operation including the indicator light on the dash for the mid pto.

Now I need to get the quick hitch assembled, but I do not have any directions for this.