Middlebuster for planting

/ Middlebuster for planting #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
I am recently interested in trying to garden but not wanting to spend too much on implements yet. So, I got a middlebuster (potatoe plow) to try to use it for gardening and because it was a lot cheaper than some of the other implements. I made three rows which are about 25 yards long and was wanting some advice on things I could plant in the furrow that it made. Basically I was thinking it would be an easy way to start trying gardening without buying too many other implements such as plow, disc, and tiller. The area that I made the rows in is shaded maybe 50% sun. If nothing else I will probably try a seed mix for deere but I am interested in trying asparagus, possibly corn, potatoes (since it is a potatoe plow), or any other suggestions yall have.
Are there some vegetables which would be fine to plant into the furrow like that? I have read some vegetables will rot unless you get the row elevated for drainage.

/ Middlebuster for planting #2  
You should level and smooth the soil after plowing with the middle buster. Drag a heavy log, railroad tie, a few tires chained together behind your tractor. Nobody plants seed directly into plowed ground. Vegetable crops are planted only 1 to 2 inches deep in smooth leveled soil to get proper germination.

Good luck.

/ Middlebuster for planting #3  
You can plant potato eye chunks in a furrow about 4 inches deep and IIRC you can start an asparagus bed at that level. But you need to study the culture of each plant as you learn. I found that a hoe and rake works great for beginners. Your particular soil condition, fertility and drainage are important to the result also. Anything with "seed" will need to have your middle busted plowing leveled off as mentioned above. The "potato" part of that nomenclature for the plow is used for harvesting the potato crop...and it works great for that vs hand digging...unless you have a lot of kids that need something to do to make them useful beside staring at some gizmo in their hand.

/ Middlebuster for planting #4  
Read up on asparagus roots before you plant. The plants can live up to 30 years so you need to plant in a space you will not bother for 20 years or more. From roots asparagus takes at least two years to start getting a decent crop and from seed at least 3 years. They need great drainage and full sunlight to really produce well. Keeping weeds out year after year will be the greatest challenge. I have 1/4 acre in asparagus with approx. 2200 plants. They can be very rewarding but also a huge chore.

/ Middlebuster for planting #5  
Yes, Asparagus is a perennial and should have a dedicated spot. Many suggest you bury 8 - 10" deep and gradually cover up as they grow. Let the first season's crop go to seed (don't pick or cut). Leave late shoots till frost kills them; then clean up. Can lightly mechanically cultivate in early spring to help with weeds. They are heavy feeders that require a lot of organic material and lime for best results. Worth the trouble.

/ Middlebuster for planting #6  
I'm no farmer, but as I understand it a plow moldboard is designed to turn over and break up what it has plowed. My potato plow just kind of picks up or loosens what it has plowed through. Any farmers here that can shed some light?

/ Middlebuster for planting #7  
I'm no farmer, but as I understand it a plow moldboard is designed to turn over and break up what it has plowed. My potato plow just kind of picks up or loosens what it has plowed through. Any farmers here that can shed some light?
I would say that is a correct assumption. I just did my garden plowing yesterday.

/ Middlebuster for planting #8  
You need to break up a little more and flatten.Most vegies like a lot of sun.I plow,till and hill with my cultivator/hiller.