Mile Marker winch done

/ Mile Marker winch done #21  
I'm curious about using the same exact winch powered from my remotes. The specs say 1500lbs. Is that a minimum or maximum. My Deere is 2850lbs.

/ Mile Marker winch done #22  
wkpoor, Winches are listed by their maximum line tension (pulling force.) Specsmanship gets involved and they will rate the winch with all the line spooled out so the effective "gear ratio" or lever arm of the drum radius gives more pulling power than when the drum is full of cable.

Remember you probably aren't lifting your vehicle vertically in the air ("The Gods Must Be Crazy II") so you don't have to have a rating larger than your gross weight. The force required to roll or drag something is typically less than its weight (often much less.)

That said... I have a 12,000 lb Warn winch on my 1 ton truck and it is N O T too much winch. I could use MORE PULL! Luckily it came with a good snatch block so if I am not too far from what I am hooking up to I can double the pulling power to 24,000 lbs.

Even with only 12,000 lbs I can winch the truck (in park with brakes set) to the load rather than vice versa. YOu may want to have enough chain or rope or ... to tie the vehicle with winch to a tree or something. I am going to make a Danforth style boat anchor (greatest straight line pull for pound of anchor weight) so us to hold the truck from going to the load rather than vice versa. Similar are used by serious off roaders. What good is a winch for self rescue is there isn't anything to hook to????

Pat

/ Mile Marker winch done #23  
Great job on the winch. There is only one thing that bothers me with what I see in the pictures and that is a lack of a backlash guard. In the event (heaven forbid) that while you are winching out something under tension and the cable should come loose or break, the cable would shoot back like a bullet.

I have looked at the commercial winches and all have some sort of operator guard with it.

I think if you added a frame with expanded metal to your winch that is high enough to protect you while you are seated would go along way from having a really bad day.

/ Mile Marker winch done #24  
My winch (electric) came with a control socket with weather cover and a long remote cable so you can stand way off to the side to winch in or out. This gets you of to the side away from the path of the hook should something let go. A shield is a good idea but there can be tremendous forces involved so it needs to be substantial. I like to be out of the way. I can buy a new grill, radiator, or windshield or whatever except a new me. With a hydraulic winch with manual controls you ARE LIKELY to be in harms way so think about self defense.

Pat

/ Mile Marker winch done #25  
I was thinking along the line of some protection for the operator too in the event that a cable let go--even if it does not break but just slips there is a tremendous force and speed. I saw a 1 1/4 inch cable on a D8 winch Cat that broke while skidding logs and that operator learned why they put that heavy mesh on the back side!! It sounds like a whip crack.

Mike

/ Mile Marker winch done #26  
What I was referring to was can a winch rated for 1500lbs. pressure input handle the extra pressure or will it risk failure. My tractor puts out 2850lbs. hydraulic pressure. Sometimes those ratings are mins and just means more work done. I notice the Ramsey has a built in pressure relief and is rated at 2500lbs.

/ Mile Marker winch done #27  
MJPetersen said:
aw a 1 1/4 inch cable on a D8 winch Cat that broke while skidding logs and that operator learned why they put that heavy mesh on the back side!! It sounds like a whip crack.

Mike

There was an interesting episode of "Myth Busters" on the infamous breaking cable. You want excitement? Be on the flight deck when a landing A/C breaks an arresting cable!

Pat ;) ;)

/ Mile Marker winch done #28  
So I have heard, but have never seen. I did see this and that impressed me and makes me think when I am in that kind of situation.

Mike

/ Mile Marker winch done
Well, believe it or not, my little tractor was able to hold the load enough for me to break my 1/2" cable 2 days ago. I was trying to winch a 18" red maple leaner and had to double up the line to get enough pull to pull the butt out from under it. Fetched up on a stump under the snow I didn't see. Snap and the cable had about a 3' recoil then went dead on the ground.

I am sure there are other applications the would create more snap back, but I don't think it is mine. I spent 5 years in the Navy all on a surface ship and we had to have snap back training every year. Most training was for nylon rope and not on wire rope(some, but the concern wasn't as great). Catch cables on carriers are way over abused and has special training just for them.

I have been able to hook up 2 18"x20' red maples to skid out. Wouldn't want more than that. I could only do 1 beech tree 18" at a time though. That beech is heavy.

Now its rainy:mad:

/ Mile Marker winch done #30  
maniac, I did 10 years of SAR in San Diego area with USCG and we used nylon tow ropes for towing in distressed vessels. Nylon stretches and stores a lot of energy which can be released in a hurry. Requires disciplined use. When you first hook up to a disabled vessel and take a strain in the line we would back off and let the line dip in the water and then have another go at it. When the line hit the water it was so hot it made steam!

Woe unto the bozo who let the distressed vessel crew attach the tow line to anything not up to the task; like light deck hardware, cleats and such. They made great incoming rounds when they came off and were shot toward the towing vessel.

Pat