Winches Milemarker hydraulic winch

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #21  
Despite all of the negative comments (which I don't discount completely) I think this is an ingenious solution and maybe with some modifications it can be safe.

Well, I have given it some thought, since a winch and a PHD are really the only two tools remaining on my "wish list" now that I have forks and a stump grinder. Yet, I point out one example of using a type of ground anchor, much smaller than a PT's HD rock bucket, and the whole thread "turned left at Albuquerque"...

A 422/425 isn't heavy enough, with enough ground pressure, to be a good anchor itself. Similarly, a 2,000/3,000 lb winch would only be helpful in getting the PT unstuck -- which wasn't my intended use...

I have too many potential uses where a tree might not be available, or if it is, it would be best used to anchor a pulley/snatch block, and some other method of anchoring the winch is essential. We had to wait and use a little Komatsu dozer to retrieve one log we cut when it went downhill on us -- my brothers 65HP Massey 4WD would only sit and dig holes... and we were pulling it uphill, into a clearing, away from any trees...

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #22  
A 422/425 isn't heavy enough, with enough ground pressure, to be a good anchor itself. Similarly, a 2,000/3,000 lb winch would only be helpful in getting the PT unstuck -- which wasn't my intended use...

I have a 2000 lb electric winch and I agree it is not very powerful. I find I rarely use it. I usually use a boat winch when I am stuck and it works very well. It is on a 2 inch receiver post and I plug it into the 2 inch receiver on the back of my PT. I have found that if I connect the strap up high on a tree (5 feet) it is easier to get out. Pulling straight back does not work when I am really stuck. I am rarely barely stuck since you can usually pull/push yourself out with an attachment.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #23  
For those wanting a hydraulic winch, there are two good buys on ebay right now.

search for 12,000 lb mile marker hydraulic winch currently $400 and it is new

search for Hydraulic 8000lb Toe Truck Winch(used,spool full currently $250 but has a buy it now of $395 which seems like a good price to me

Ken

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #25  
that's what the portable gas winch is, a capstan winch. Just not using the tractor engine but a small Honda instead.

Ken

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch #26  
... We had to wait and use a little Komatsu dozer to retrieve one log we cut when it went downhill on us -- my brothers 65HP Massey 4WD would only sit and dig holes... and we were pulling it uphill, into a clearing, away from any trees...

In a situation like that, my father would take out his chain saw, cut a seat into the log and tell us that was a good place for a bench to sit on! :) (we didn't have a winch ;) ).

Pulleys are your friend if you do not have a heavy enough anchor and/or a strong enough winch.

/ Milemarker hydraulic winch
Thanks for the tractor install pics, seeing the cushion/reducer valve mounted helped me figure that out in my head.

Well, there seems to be some thought that a 9,000lb mile marker is a bit big for a 422/425, luckily for those of you serious about a hard working (non-electric) winch. Mile Marker makes a 5,400 lb one, though they are a bit hard to find. I think it's a manual valve unit, two speed and runs about $560 with steel cable. The guys at the below link would have details. I think I bought both my Mile Markers (one went away with a vehicle I totaled and the other is sitting in the shop) from them and was happy with the service.

Winches Plus