Military pay

/ Military pay #11  
How can you ever pay soldiers enough to be away from home for a year, live in a desert environment in tents, eat MREs, and oh yeah risk their life every day. God bless them.

/ Military pay #12  
Heck, I would have been happy to only be gone for a year. Three or four years was the normal. Did get to see the world about ten times over, did I mention, I got paid too. Dang Navy, they made me retire at 42.

mark

/ Military pay #13  
Heck, I would have been happy to only be gone for a year. Three or four years was the normal. Did get to see the world about ten times over, did I mention, I got paid too. Dang Navy, they made me retire at 42.

mark

Thank you for your service to our country.

/ Military pay #14  
Gotta say that I just retired after 39 years as a CW5 and the retirement pay makes me smile on the 31st :).

/ Military pay #15  
As for flight pay - I'm not sure how you got away with only 4 hours a month. I ended up averaging 10 hours per day, every day for 2 weeks in the early 70's. Then I got 3 days off and got to do it all over again. Different place every day makes for interesting travel, I got to see lots of southeast asia, a little of europe, and a little of the middle east. Pretty difficult maintaining a relationship at home when you're gone so much. But it is an interesting job and certainly gives one an understanding as to just how great this county is and how good americans really have it. But, yes flight pay and combat pay was nice although $60/month to get shot at seems a bit on the low side.

/ Military pay #16  
I'm a retired "Mustang" Lieutenant Commander with over 30 years, and I'm eternally grateful for the folks that fly me a check the first of each month.

I started out as an E-1 in 1977, and that $400/mo seemed pretty darn good. O-4 retired pay isn't bad either.

If you don't remember, basic pay is the only pay that's taxed. Allowances for housing (over $1000/mo in some places), food, uniforms, combat, and the like are NOT taxed.

The kicker with that is that retirement (about 50% of base pay for your highest paygrade) is really about 1/3 of what you were used to taking home.

I'm still adjusting!

Again, thank you for giving me the best career I could have ever imagined, and thank you for the retirement check in these difficult times.

Al Yelvington, USCG (retired)

/ Military pay #18  
To the retired veterans in this thread, and those on active duty, let me say a heart felt thank you for your service.

/ Military pay #19  
In 1970, when I got out of the Army as an E6, I made $368/month. About what I get from SS in todays dollars (no rigorus calculations done, just an impression). So I have come full circle. I sure miss the days when buying a new PT would have been a minor purchase.