MIller 175 mig problems

/ MIller 175 mig problems #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Been trying to spot weld up a bunch of pieces on my wood processor build. Was having a terrible time and took me a while to figure out what was going wrong. Every weld was porous, wasnt getting any pentration, Wire sticking in the gun. Couldnt figure it out. Tried turning up the argon, (75/25). Turned up the heat and wire speed. About ready to take a hammer to it. Well, I kept trying and the real problem finally showed its face. Wire stuck in the gun, again so I turned around to turn off the welder and there lay my problem. Where the leads hooks to the machine, the cable had pulled loose. I suspect at first, it just moved enough to loose gas, which was causing the porous gummy looking welds and the cable moving in the plug was causing the wire sticking. Anyways, cleaned everything up and put it back together and it seems to have fixed the problem. I suspect my pulling on the lead is probably what started loosening the cable and starting the problems. Just posting this so if anybody is having similar problems, they can check where the cable plugs in and make sure it is seated all the way in the machine, before Your tempted to use the hammer method to fix it. :thumbsup:

/ MIller 175 mig problems #2  
Oh I'm a big believer in the hammer! Driving piling all my life, I love to smack things with a hammer!:laughing:

Blowing out the liner of a Mig gun is some good maintenance also.;)

Attachments

• piledrivers.jpg
    piledrivers.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 179
   / MIller 175 mig problems
My liner is almost new. I suspect i didnt get the locking nut as tight as I should have when I replace it. Also, I have a bad habit of pulling on the lead when they dont quite reach what i am wanting to weld. Welder is mounted on a roll around cart and sometimes a little tug will roll the machine close enough to get the weld done. And sometimes the cart wheels stick on a piece of slag on the floor and it takes a jerk to move it. Bad habits are hard to break. I just figured if anybody had some of my bad habits, they might find my post useful.

Oh, I used to get pretty irritated enough to use the hammer when things werent going the way I wanted. Now I just use the hammer when I am looking for an excuse to upgrade equipment.

/ MIller 175 mig problems #4  
The majority of the guys I worked with, my self included. Could break a cannon ball in no time at all. :eek:

/ MIller 175 mig problems
I am looking for the pic of my broke anvil and rubber hammer :hissyfit:

/ MIller 175 mig problems #6  
As the old saying goes:
"You can always use a BIGGER hammer. If that doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem.":D

Terry

/ MIller 175 mig problems #7  
"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway."

/ MIller 175 mig problems #8  
Also, I have a bad habit of pulling on the lead when they dont quite reach what i am wanting to weld. Welder is mounted on a roll around cart and sometimes a little tug will roll the machine close enough to get the weld done. And sometimes the cart wheels stick on a piece of slag on the floor and it takes a jerk to move it.

guilty :laughing:

/ MIller 175 mig problems #9  
If you are going to blow out the liner remove the wire and blow from the torch end. Any dirt/trash came in from the machine and back blowing is better.
I had the wire to they ground clamp come loose on my MM 210. That acted weird.
Also had the guide where the wire enters before it goes to the feed rollers get stopped up making wire feed hard. I don't use one of those thingies that rides on the wire to help keep it clean.