Miller 350P Purchase

/ Miller 350P Purchase #1  

jb1390

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550, Hitachi 120-2
I am looking at upgrading my Hobart 230 - looking for something with a bit better spray capability. The miller 252 would do what I need, but I'm intrigued by the idea of pulse welding, and the options that the jump up to the 350P would bring. However, with the increased capabilities come an increased price tag. I'm looking at a couple used units for sale relatively nearby to me. If anyone has suggestions on these machines, I'd like to hear.

One unit was manufactured in 2007, and used in a small welding shop. It has 950 arc hours on it.

I'm not sure the complete back story of the second one, theoretically used as a hobbyist machine and doesn't even have a full roll of wire through it. It's currently in storage and I will need a generator to test it. I am supposed to get the serial number today.

Both sellers are asking $2500. I've read that other inverter based miller machines can go 10000+ hours, but haven't found anything specifically about the 350P.

/ Miller 350P Purchase #2  
Not the exact same thing, but I have a Lincoln 350mp. Gaud I love this welder. So often I ground out a bad weld not to realize that it was the welder and not the user. This machine just lays the perfect bead after the perfect bead. The attached picture is a max effort short circuit bead I laid down this past weekend. The bar was 1/2" and the rods are 1". I also have my machine set up for stick and I used it for some hard facing. It's incredible how smooth the machine is. I like the multi process capability which I'm not certain the Miller is capable of.

Attachments

• 2017-11-04 15.52.32.jpg
    2017-11-04 15.52.32.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 175
   / Miller 350P Purchase
Not the exact same thing, but I have a Lincoln 350mp. Gaud I love this welder. So often I ground out a bad weld not to realize that it was the welder and not the user. This machine just lays the perfect bead after the perfect bead. The attached picture is a max effort short circuit bead I laid down this past weekend. The bar was 1/2" and the rods are 1". I also have my machine set up for stick and I used it for some hard facing. It's incredible how smooth the machine is. I like the multi process capability which I'm not certain the Miller is capable of.

I've read good things about the Lincoln. There are some advantages over the Miller, but a few disadvantages as well. I think either would work for me - but I don't see any used ones available in my area and can't justify the cost to purchase new. The Miller is constant voltage (mig) only - though I don't really have the need for multiprocess, especially when an inverter stick welder is so inexpensive. I have a Miller econotig, which works well enough for the small amount of stick/tig that I do.

/ Miller 350P Purchase #4  
I've never tried welding steel with my Miller 350P. It worked nicely for aluminum with a Python push pull gun though.

I sold it to a friend earlier this year as he had a big aluminum job coming up, and wanted to upgrade from his MM 252. I have spool guns on other machines I can use for aluminum.

IMG_7307.JPG

Terry

/ Miller 350P Purchase #5  
We had 4 350P's at work roughly that vintage. One of the control boards went out on three of them with not even 200 hours, or somewhere near that, still under warranty. The board was, at that time over half the cost of the machine. One I used exclusively finally went, still under warranty. They burnt out again after warranty and we scrapped the machines as the repair was over half the cost of new as one board took out the rest. Less than a 1000 hours on all of them
While they were working they were awesome, the pulse on hard wire was great, hard wire weld looked like it was put on with a butter knife and if you weren't careful you could burn thru a piece of 1/4" plate doing a fillet weld.
On aluminum with a Python gun, awesome once you got it dialed in.
Would I buy a used one....not a chance............Mike

/ Miller 350P Purchase #6  
I was looking at at a 350p to replace my MM251 as I wanted pulse for AL mig, prices were all more then I wanted to spend, ended up getting a XMT304 with a 24a feeder and Optima pulse module off ebay from a person that rebuilds them (capacitors go out and you can get them ch cheap). Even with shipping it was a couple thousand less then I was finding the 350p for, the pulse isn't as adjustable as the 350p but works very well for me. I believe the xmt350 with pulse is a little better but usually cost more.
I use a 30A spool gun for my AL mig.
Might be a another option for you, I also like that I can run off 1 or 3phase since I'll have 3phase once the new shops built. If you look at the XMT just make sure it's not a set voltage/phase, mine had auto link.

/ Miller 350P Purchase
We had 4 350P's at work roughly that vintage. One of the control boards went out on three of them with not even 200 hours, or somewhere near that, still under warranty. The board was, at that time over half the cost of the machine. One I used exclusively finally went, still under warranty. They burnt out again after warranty and we scrapped the machines as the repair was over half the cost of new as one board took out the rest. Less than a 1000 hours on all of them
While they were working they were awesome, the pulse on hard wire was great, hard wire weld looked like it was put on with a butter knife and if you weren't careful you could burn thru a piece of 1/4" plate doing a fillet weld.
On aluminum with a Python gun, awesome once you got it dialed in.
Would I buy a used one....not a chance............Mike

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear.....though I appreciate the input. This is giving me pause about either of these machines. At half the price of new it seems to be a nice deal, but that's still a lot of money, especially if it turns into a boat anchor.

I wonder if they changed the boards at some point to increase reliability, and what models to look for. I was hoping to get the serial number of machine #2 and then call miller for a recommendation.

/ Miller 350P Purchase #8  
If you are going to weld any aluminum i recommend it.

If you need the extra amp's do weld on thicker material i recommend it as well.

I would not spend the extra money just for pulse however. But that is just me.

/ Miller 350P Purchase #9  
TMGT made a good alternative suggestion regarding Miller XMT's.

It's a good solid reliable (IMO) multiprocess unit. Stick, DC Tig, and will run whatever feeders and spool gun( with WC24 controller) for aluminum.

I have a 350 XMT. I've since sold the XR feeder with push pull gun when I bought the MM350P, but still have a spool gun for aluminum.

Here's pics of mine with some of the accessories.

IMG_7515.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_7984.JPG

Great flexibility for adding the features you need.

Terry

/ Miller 350P Purchase
If you are going to weld any aluminum i recommend it.

If you need the extra amp's do weld on thicker material i recommend it as well.

I would not spend the extra money just for pulse however. But that is just me.

I am starting to think I will stay away from a used one of these. I don't need a new-to-me welder, though the extra capacity and features (pulse) would be nice sometimes. However, I can't afford over 2k for a boat anchor, and I've found other forums that suggest reliability is a concern with these machines. Especially when the price is similar to a brand new MM252.