Miller mig, what pressure to normally run

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #1  

tractorboy5500

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5500 4WD, 275 FEL
I been using a miller mig, solid wire with gas mix, i was told to run about 30 psi when i got it. But was talking to some people at the welding supply store, they run about 15 to 25 psi on there's, thought someone might know the correct pressure setting. I have the miller 180, thanks.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #2  
I vary mine depending on the conditions. Inside I normally leave it at 20 psi but if there's a fan or another source of air flow I'll bump it up some, 25 to 30. If outside I may have to go higher.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #3  
Yes- indoors you dont have to run the higher gas pressure (30psi) to shield the weld..I would run 20 psi..Outside or indoors with a fan going you need more gas 25 to 30 psi.... You can actually see an hear the arc when the gas is high and low. Weld indoors with 20 psi...Now weld the same way with a fan on and you can see the difference. Now you know when to turn the gas up...

AndyG

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #4  
Not to be picky, but the gauge is probably graduated in CFH (cubic feet per hour) not PSI.
Try as low as 15 or 20. Go up if you get spots of porosity. The "right" flow is very dependent on your technique and surroundings. The only real downside to having too much flow is gas usage.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #5  
15 CFH indoors.

More if your getting porosity

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #6  
It's always best to check the welding wire manufacture's suggestion. Some dual shield wires I have require 35 to 40-cfph, and they're not joking, anything less and the wire has issues!

But as everybody else has said so far, indoors with Lincoln's L-56 Mig wire I run 15-cfph.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #7  
It's always best to check the welding wire manufacture's suggestion. Some dual shield wires I have require 35 to 40-cfph, and they're not joking, anything less and the wire has issues!

But as everybody else has said so far, indoors with Lincoln's L-56 Mig wire I run 15-cfph.

I have noticed the same thing. Some wire requires more than others. But in general 20-25 for most things will take care of it, but I go as low as 15, depending upon my nozzle size.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #8  
I run mine between 20 and 25 CFH, I adjust with the trigger pulled (loosen the drive roller first so as not to feed the wire)

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #9  
Indoors, I run mine at 20.

/ Miller mig, what pressure to normally run #10  
I usually run mine between 10 to 15 indoors. Normally don't use MIG outdoors unless it's done on a calm day. If breezy I switch to either stick or FCAW.