Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #1  

Kickstand

Tractor
1997 Kubota L35
Considering purchasing a used mini ex for mostly home use. Initial work will be building a few miles of trail in mountainous terrain. Looking at something like a Kubota U17/JD 17D/Bobcat E20. All are 3700-4300# and have adjustable track width from about 39 inches to maybe 50-53 inches. Most of the trails will be for hiking only, so I want them to be as narrow as possible with minimal land disturbance. And some of the area is 45 degree slope, so the wider footprint of an larger machine really begins to create a large bench with much more disturbance. My question is, is it reasonable to use one of the above in the narrow width for the actual trail building, or is that feature more for fitting through a tight spot or gate only? I recently rented a Bobcat E26 (5600#, 60 inch width) to make a perimeter path around the property wide enough for a side by side or tractor and it worked really well for that, but looking for something narrower. Thanks for any thoughts.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #2  
I think its for gates and narrow spaces, I don't know how well it will dig set in the narrow position ,You could rent one and try it out...

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #3  
I just recently looked at those and a few others for some of the same usage you are. I settled on the E20 for several reasons and couldn't be happier. The retractable tracks are essential for getting into tight places and between close trees. You do lose some capacity when operating with the tracks retracted but a lot of times it just takes getting me to a spot where I can extend them back out. Also, the zero tail swing is critical when working in the woods. Several times it would have been too close or impossible to work where I really needed to without hitting my tail into a tree.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #4  
Less stable if swinging a load to the side, with tracks retracted.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #5  
The manufacturers produce charts and graphs that show how much you can lift over the side of the excavator with the tracks retracted vs. extended. You will mostly be building the benches over the front of the machine before you get there. Excavators tracks don't handle side slope very well and it will be much easier to pop a track off. That is why you build the bench first, so you are always on a fairly level surface.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #6  
I am making some trails right now that are cut into the side of a 45-degree slope (12:12, 100% pitch). My 1T mini is only 36" wide, but with plenty of power that can drag me around or tip me over very quickly. Your 1.7T mini would be more tippy at minimum track width, I will bet. A ZTR mini should be less tippy, I would think.

The 36" width really helps me make a narrow trail without risking driving on the fill side of the slope. In other words, my horizontal cut into the side of the slope only has to be 36" to stay on undisturbed soil.

BTW, I just had some seat time in a shiny new Bobcat E50. Very slick, with keyless security, auto-idle, and telematics that include over-the-air software updates. Wow. $100K with all the options.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #7  
Wanting to do what the OP and others have discussed. New to mini-ex's. Who makes the XN-08? (thought I quoted DF Krug's post above mine?)
Does anyone have a Sany brand mini?
I've seen them discussed some on You-Tube for landscaping use...
Curious what their reputation is compared to Kubota, Bobcat and other better known brands.
TIA for any input.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #8  
Who makes the XN-08? (thought I quoted DF Krug's post above mine?)
Does anyone have a Sany brand mini?
The XN08 is made by Xiniu (Mandarin for Rhinoceros), which may be the biggest maker of tiny (sub-1.5T) Chinese mini-excavators. I have updated my Chinese excavator thread to include one of their latest models, which uses the Kubota diesel engine. The guy who owns that machine is local to me and I hope to see his Sany unit to compare.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #9  
i have a komatsu with exactly those specs and have used for doing exactly as you state. if you are a reasonable operator you wont really notice the difference with tracks in or out. if you are erratic or overloading, you will notice and may take a tumble down that 45 degree hillg Honestly, i suggest just using with the tracks out. the extra digging for the wider trail is minimal and if its on your own time who cares how long it takes, i always find it relaxing to go do some unpressured digging/grading.

/ Mini Ex- Question about Adjustable Track Width #10  
I posted a photo of the smallest Sany mini-X here:

Post #378. I examined the machine, but have not operated it. I have been told that Sany makes some parts for the majors (CAT?). Anyone know?

As for cutting trails on steep slopes, I have gotten pretty good at it with my 3' wide machine. I aim for 36" of undisturbed base, while moving the spoils to the side to yield a total width of at least 48". That allows me to safely traverse my steepest trails with my 4x4 ATV (with good tires and diff-lock). Of course, that is after some consolidation of the fill via walking on it and multiple rains.