Buying Advice Mini Excavators

/ Mini Excavators #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
May not be the place. Toying with the idea of a used mini-excavator, just for one job basically. Rental probably makes more sense, but here is my question. I need something that can dig right up next to a foundation, for footing drain work.

I've heard of something like "zero clearance" units, where basically the cab does not stick out past the tracks when swinging. Also heard of units that can slide the boom and bucket left or right to be essentially in line with the side of the machine.

Anyone know of smaller Kubotas that have such features? Or any smaller units?+

/ Mini Excavators #2  
I would just use a smaller bucket and go at it placing minix a few feet from wall to be sure the swing will clear. Excavation will be bigger than needed but so what it can be filled quickly. A grading bucket can also be helpful in cleaning up the trench and backfilling cleanly. Also look into trenchers that can operate next to foundations

/ Mini Excavators #3  
I think most of the mini excavators include the feature which allows you to position the boom at a right angle to the cab/seat. I have a Bobcat E20 that includes this feature.

This allows me to dig along a wall, fence, etc. It is a nice feature when installing drains against a house or whatever.

/ Mini Excavators #4  
Most minis can pivot the boom to dig against a wall. Almost every manufacturer makes a no tail swing package. For Kubota it’s the U series.

/ Mini Excavators #5  
Kubota U series mini escalators are zero tail swing. KX models overhang. Good luck.....

/ Mini Excavators #6  
If you get lucky and find a decent used mini cheap you could use it for a year or two then sell it for the same price or more after your finished with it. Just good luck on finding a good deal. 🍻

/ Mini Excavators #7  
My Cat mini has individual boom swing in addition to zero tail swing. The boom swing is most important when working against a foundation and I think most small minis have this feature as it’s one of their intended uses. Mine also has hydraulic extendable undercarriage so it can be tucked in to get inside a 36” door to work from the inside. Rental house in my little town has equivalent Bobcat available.

/ Mini Excavators #8  
I have operated many a mini excavator over the years.

The swinging boom is a clever thing and also some models that offer convertible controls* that can replicate tractor like digging controls. The minis also usually incorporate a small 'dozer blade' for back filling and double for stability as they don't have outrigger legs.

*saves learning times and helps safety by preventing false moves under pressure.

/ Mini Excavators #9  
Almost all mini x have the swingable boom, you can dig tight to a foundation but need a zero turn to dump.

/ Mini Excavators #10  
May not be the place. Toying with the idea of a used mini-excavator, just for one job basically. Rental probably makes more sense, but here is my question. I need something that can dig right up next to a foundation, for footing drain work.

I've heard of something like "zero clearance" units, where basically the cab does not stick out past the tracks when swinging. Also heard of units that can slide the boom and bucket left or right to be essentially in line with the side of the machine.

Anyone know of smaller Kubotas that have such features? Or any smaller units?+
Can you define “right up next” to the foundation? 1 inch? 6 inches?

How much room do you have behind the foundation? I can dig about 3 inches from a foundation with my backhoe, provided there isn’t anything behind it (for the rest of the tractor to hit).

You wont need a mini-ex to dump, just come in at say a 30 degree angle, leaving 60 degrees to dump. Unless I am missing the setup.