Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #21  
My main concern would be ice damming in the winter, if the snow on your house roof melts and runs down to the steel roof and freezes.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #22  
Here in East Texas, we don't build for snow, but do have to deal with extreme rain instead. Two weeks ago we received 3 inches in less then an hour and I was at 4 7/8s inches for the day. Slope of metal roofs has to be enough to shed a lot of water quickly. For metal, my local provider is Mueller's, and they told me that at 4:12, I don't need to worry about sealing the overlaps, but if I go less, I need to seal the overlap, but not to go less then 2:12

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof
Yeah, I ignore those type of post. I'm thinking the same way you are thinking. I'll also have gutter on the eave end to catch the water.

You'll have no load problems. Worse leak problem you might have is that water running off the eave may try to turn the edge of the tin and come back toward the house. If you give this roof an 1.5" of drop it'll be fine.

Don't worry about "The Sky Is Falling" crowd. :)

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #24  
You don't have any good solutions.. You can't put enough drop because of the other window. If you make it fit rain will be all over soffit around the other window it will rot everything. If you want sun screen use a small rollup. But a enclosed screen room will be problem

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #25  
For low slopes the over lap was increased to compensate, but that was back in the good ole days.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #26  
See posts #16-20 and carry on. :)

Rafter and slat spacing of 24" min should be enough. Similar sheds and lean-tos next door have handled mid-MI's snow for a decade w/o leaking. The steep one is ~1:12 pitch, if that.

IMO, ice damming isn't likely on an unheated surface below a 18" o'hang. (toss handful of rock salt up there if needs) Small o'all size & low placement should be easy to sweep of heavy snows, and snow spreads its weight evenly, nothing like someone walking up there.

If the sky didn't fall in too big of chunks, I'd like to sit under such to 'watch' storm clouds and birds.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #27  
   / Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof
This is exactly how I am looking at it. There are a lot of lean too's that have hardly any pitch. As far ice damming, that won't be an issue since there will no heat to melt the snow on the roof. I think I'll be fine. It's nice to hear other inputs though.

See posts #16-20 and carry on. :)

Rafter and slat spacing of 24" min should be enough. Similar sheds and lean-tos next door have handled mid-MI's snow for a decade w/o leaking. The steep one is ~1:12 pitch, if that.

IMO, ice damming isn't likely on an unheated surface below a 18" o'hang. (toss handful of rock salt up there if needs) Small o'all size & low placement should be easy to sweep of heavy snows, and snow spreads its weight evenly, nothing like someone walking up there.

If the sky didn't fall in too big of chunks, I'd like to sit under such to 'watch' storm clouds and birds.

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #29  
--------------------------------------------Don't worry about "The Sky Is Falling" crowd. :)
I don't think anyone here is shouting "The Sky is Falling". Just many varying opinions and suggestions.

Yeah, I ignore those type of post. I'm thinking the same way you are thinking. I'll also have gutter on the eave end to catch the water.
You also ignore what the manufacturer recommends. :confused3:

/ Minimum Pitch for Metal Ribbed Roof #30  
I'm doing a 6"/12' for a horse stall awning. I'm in N. TX, so snow load isn't typically an issue. I'll also tape the seams where the sheets overlap.

I agree on taping or caulking the overlap. I had 1/12 sheds added onto both sides of a sixty foot long barn with up to about 16 inches of wet heavy snow on it. Perhaps it was due to having animals within but after snow events like that I would get minor enough ice damming on the one foot overhang outside of the walls. Then during a melt, water would pour out of the seams.

In my location, a few inches of snow usually melts off quick enough but beyond that, I shoveled it off. Having the screws in the flat made it easy enough to shovel off with a plastic shovel and did not scratch the paint off of the tin.