minimum size tank for off road fuel

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #11  
automech said:
why the 55 gal drum to buy the fuel and not another 30 gal?
My original plan was just the one 30 gallon drum but that presented the problem of how do I get it off the truck after going and getting it filled.
The second siphon hose [the one you see in the blue drum solved that problem] and eliminated the need to ever disturb the white drum.
This extra suction hose is the heart and key to any fuel
transfer and storage set up system being able to work with any size tank drum barrel keg jug can or any other container.
Once you have this hose installed on your rig container size becomes a mute point.
It really doesn't matter what you haul the fuel in as you can use that hose to pump from anything into the white drum.
I could use six 5 gallon cans two 15 gallon kegs 2 gallon cans or any combination of containers to haul the fuel in.
I wouldn't have the deliver guy fill the white drum but have him put 30 gallon of fuel in the blue 55 gallon drum instead.
I could even have him fill the 55 drum if needed.
Thirty gallon plastic drums like this white one are very hard to find around here.
I got lucky and found this one at a flee market about a year ago for 12 bucks.
After I decided to install the extra suction hose on the pump I needed a second drum to haul fuel in.
I can't find a 30 gallon plastic drum anywhere around here now.
I needed 30 gallon of off road so I went to one of the suppliers and asked them if they knew where I could find a 30 gallon plastic drum.
They didn't know where I could find one but they had 3 steel 55 gallon drums and offered to give me one of them.
I took them up on the offer and threw one of them on the truck and had them put 30 gallon of the red stuff in it.
The pictures show me unloading the fuel into the white set up drum.
If I couldn't find 30 gallon drums.
I would just use 2 55 gallon drums and buy 30 or 40 gallon of off road at a time.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #12  
I have two 30 gallon plastic drums my cousin gave me. Both were herbicide containers and yes I washed them out good. I have one filled at a time and can lay it down for unloading. Roll it to the tailgate of pickup and slide it off so the drum is upright when it gets to the ground. Mine are not in sunlight and are made of HDPE, same as the 5 gallon plastic jugs. I can move these where needed on the dirt floor of my barn. When it gets close to empty I get the other one filled. Haven't bought any since last year so I don't know what price is now. Have been using this set up for 3-4 years now.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #13  
How do you get the fuel out of the drum into your tractor?

oliver28472 said:
1* I have one filled at a time and can lay it down for unloading. Roll it to the tailgate of pickup and slide it off so the drum is upright when it gets to the ground. 2*When it gets close to empty I get the other one filled.
1*I just pump it out of the drum while the drum is still on the truck then set the empty light drum off the truck.
I shouldn't have to do that to often as they will deliver me 25 or 30 gallon at a time.
2*Do you get it delivered?

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #14  
No, I go get it myself. Went yesterday to the local distributor. Sign on the door said no more off road at the pump. Had to go to service station and buy road diesel at $4.499!!! Hundred bucks worth didn't go far.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #15  
oliver28472 said:
Sign on the door said no more off road at the pump.
Had to go to service station and buy road diesel at $4.499!!!
This just B M B.
Making the red fuel nearly impossible to obtain thus forcing you to pay taxes you don't owe cause you have to purchase the on road stuff because the off road isn't available.
If they are going to put an on road tax on fuel they ought to make darn sure the off road is readily available and easily and conveniently obtainable to all off road users.
Off road should be just as easy and convent to acquire as the on road is.
There is absolutely no excuse for it being otherwise.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #16  
oliver28472 said:
No, I go get it myself. Went yesterday to the local distributor. Sign on the door said no more off road at the pump. Had to go to service station and buy road diesel at $4.499!!! Hundred bucks worth didn't go far.
So now how are you gonna get off road ?????????

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #17  
LBrown59 said:
This just B M B. Making the red fuel nearly impossible to obtain thus forcing you to pay taxes you don't owe cause you have to purchase the on road stuff because the off road isn't available. If they are going to put an on road tax on fuel they ought to make darn sure the off road is readily available and easily and conveniently obtainable to all off road users. Off road should be just as easy and convent to acquire as the on road is. There is absolutely no excuse for it being otherwise.
I agree. Every station that sells on-road diesel should be required, by law, to spend the money to install a separate pump and a separate tank to sell offroad diesel, regardless of how little they sell. Another on-road fuel tax will be levied to create a fund to pay for this extra equipment for stations that can't afford it. :rolleyes:

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #18  
MikePA said:
I agree. Every station that sells on-road diesel should be required, by law, to spend the money to install a separate pump and a separate tank to sell offroad diesel, regardless of how little they sell. Another on-road fuel tax will be levied to create a fund to pay for this extra equipment for stations that can't afford it. :rolleyes:
IE
So you feel it's ok to force people that don't owe the road tax to pay that tax.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #19  
LBrown59 said:
IE
So you feel it's ok to force people that don't owe the road tax to pay that tax.
...and you believe it's OK to force businesses to sell a product very few of their customers want and make their other customers foot the bill for the equipment to do it.

In the free enterprise system businesses sell what the majority of their customers want, which means they can't sell everything. Their customers are also free to shop elsewhere.

People who buy enough diesel to make the additional taxes they'd pay for onroad substantial are smart enough to find a source for offroad. If not, they can either file the paperwork to get their money back or buy HHO. No taxes...and I keep reading HHO is the same as diesel.

/ minimum size tank for off road fuel #20  
So now how are you gonna get off road ?????????

There is another distributor on the way to work.