Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse!

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Old splitter, probably built in the '60's. The upright on the end opposite the wedge (I'll call it a "stop") is smooth, while I see new ones have bumps or arcs welded on them to keep the log in place.

If a log looks like it might pop out of position I hold my hand between it and my face.

Had a piece with a 2 1/2 inch knot. Ran the wedge into it about 1/2 inch and it flew up, hit my arm and then 8 feet away it put 2 good sized dents in the side door of my pole building. Got a gash in my arm through my rain parka and my shirt. If it had hit my face it would have done some real damage and I'd have lost my movie star good looks.

Been splitting with that thing for about 15 years, 2 or 3 cords a year, never had one pop out as violently.

Time to fire up my welding torch, figure out how to use it and weld some bumps on that stop.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #2  
Man, glad your okay. I'll take that as a learning opportunity for when I get to building my splitter. Happy to hear it missed your face, the world needs all the beautiful people it can get. Is the arm gonna be okay?

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse!
Thanks for the concern. The arm will be OK, the gash wasn't very big but it oozed for an hour.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #4  
Yes, a simple modification like welding an 'X' plate on the flat will help a lot.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #5  
my splitter has 2 semi circles of 1/4 inch high by 1/4 wide flat stock welded on the face they will press into the log preventing sliding. the edges are square so the log will not slide.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #6  
What type wood ? Here in southern Oregon , have split Oak , Lodgepole pine , Ponderosa pine , and madrone / laurel . Of the four , the madrone was by far the most explosive , meaning that it had a knack for blowing apart like you described . All 4 splitters I have used over the years , have had some type catch / dogs per say , on bottom of splitter , but those are really designed for wood to not slide off as its splitting . Madrone does not slide off , rather it literally explodes or " Pops " with some force behind it .

Using vertical splitters , I have always sat in front , facing the splitter and wood and reaching up for the handle . I have took a few knocks to the knees from split wood " Popping " apart , hands being able to deflect wood down , but still being thumped .

Glad your O.K. .:thumbsup: Those are always hard " accidents " to explain to the better half .:D

Fred H.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #7  
I just built a wood splitter and on the foot end, I found an old flywheel starter ring gear and cut it into a couple of section about 6 to 8 inches long and welded these onto that splitter foot. Make sure the gear teeth are facing up so they engage into the piece of wood. This should make you life easier and safer and looks good too:thumbsup:

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #8  
After getting cracked in the marbles by "exploding wood" I now always turn sideways and lean my hip on the cant. If it pops it just pushes me back and I don't get whacked.

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #9  
My BIL is eye doctor and he has never ending stream of people coming to him saying:

Well, forty/thirty/twenty years I split the wood just like this and this is the first time it hit me in the eye.

Moral is - there is always first time :)

Glad you ok, statistically it will never happen to you again, I am sure you know that :thumbsup:

/ Minor log splitter accident--Could have been worse! #10  
Glad you are ok, could have been much worse.