Mirrors for JD 4200

/ Mirrors for JD 4200 #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I got tired of twisting, turning and squirming in my seat, so it was time to add some mirrors. I've always liked the looks of Jeep Wrangler mirrors, so I got a pair from J.C. Whitney that are made by OMIX-ADA. These mirrors are supposed to be dual focal point mirrors with the majority being flat for a 1:1 image and the lower portion wide angle. They are more wide angle all over, which is no big deal.

The brackets are made of scrap 3/16" plate I had laying around. I didn't have a welder at the time, so the 1/2" square locating bars are screwed to the mirror bracket. There were a couple of holes in the loader frame that I assumed were there for manufacturing purposes, which is why the bolts holding the brackets to the loader frame are grossly over sized.

DSC00842 shows the brackets just back from the powder coater. I had them done at the same time as the ballast box brackets (separate post), hence the bluish tone to the green.

DSC00840 shows the tractor before the mirrors were installed.

DSC00849 shows the installed mirrors.

DSC00851 & DSC00854 show the view from the seat.

I still have to spin around from time to time; but the mirrors have helped a lot in close quarters and on the road.

Attachments

• DSC00842.JPG
    DSC00842.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 643
  • DSC00840.JPG
    DSC00840.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 537
  • DSC00849.JPG
    DSC00849.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC00851.JPG
    DSC00851.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC00854.JPG
    DSC00854.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 582
   / Mirrors for JD 4200 #2  
Hey, that is cool :) In addition to turning around for the normal backing up, I find myself looking behind as I'm going forward when mowing and raking trying to make sure the result is what I expect. I've been think about these for a while, but you've given me new motivation to think some more.

Some questions, though....

Are those mirrors the breakway (foldaway) type that will swivel inward if needed?

Also, how does it do with the normal vibration of the tractor?

Just wondering, did you use a plasma cutter to cut the plate?

/ Mirrors for JD 4200 #3  
Sweet job, to bad the paint didn't match better! ;) Should have had a little ( a lot more ) orange in it!!:)

/ Mirrors for JD 4200
srjones said:
Some questions, though....

Are those mirrors the breakway (foldaway) type that will swivel inward if needed? Yes, the mirrors swivel either way and I have to retract them so my truck and Wife's car don't hit them in the garage.

Also, how does it do with the normal vibration of the tractor? The vibration doesn't affect them as much as I expected them too, which was a pleasant surprise. Obviously the smoother the surface the less vibration; but they have been very helpful using the brush cutter, rear blade work, or just rock & dirt loader work.

Just wondering, did you use a plasma cutter to cut the plate? A plasma cutter is on my wish list. The basic cutout was done with a Wilton 8201 14" 7-speed metal/wood cutting band saw with a 3/4" wide Starrett blade. The large arc that clears the loader pivot was done on a drill press with a hole saw and motor oil for lubricant. The remaining holes are just good old twist drill bits on the drill press. The remaining finish work was done with a bench grinder. I have been experimenting with compressed air for cooling as I'm tired of the oily mess. It seems to work pretty good and I've put a true compressed air cooling system on my wish list.

Please see replies in red.

/ Mirrors for JD 4200
3RRL said:
Very nice & clean installation. Those will definitely come in handy. Are they vibration proof mounted there?

The vibration doesn't affect them as much as I expected them too, which was a pleasant surprise. Obviously the smoother the surface the less vibration; but they have been very helpful using the brush cutter, rear blade work, or just rock & dirt loader work.

Thanks for the compliment.

/ Mirrors for JD 4200
Trahere said:
Sweet job, to bad the paint didn't match better! ;) Should have had a little ( a lot more ) orange in it!!:)

I'm hoping the Colorado sun will fade them to the proper color. :D

/ Mirrors for JD 4200 #8  
alll look at the cute mirrors waiting to be ripped off by tree branches :D

(looks good btw)

/ Mirrors for JD 4200 #9  
schmism said:
alll look at the cute mirrors waiting to be ripped off by tree branches :D

If you've got that much force where a tree branch will rip the mirrors off then your split second away from getting smacked by the same branch. :)

/ Mirrors for JD 4200 #10  
srjones said:
If you've got that much force where a tree branch will rip the mirrors off then your split second away from getting smacked by the same branch. :)

true, but i dont know about you but i have a natrual reaction to bend down or over and out of the way of low lieing brances out of instinct. :cool: your mirror on the other hand.... not as smart ;)