Mirrors for my 3016

/ Mirrors for my 3016 #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I've been wanting some mirrors on my tractor since I got it. When plowing my driveway, or driving it down the road to do stuff at the neighbor's house, I can't see cars that might be behind me. I wanted something smallish that wouldn't get ripped off in the woods, so I settled on bicycle mirrors. I had a hard time trying to find something that wasn't made of plastic locally, but Amazon came thru as usual. The other issue I had was how to mount them without drilling massive holes in my tractor, maybe by using existing holes, or mounting them on my canopy. The canopy bounced around too much so I decided I had to use the loader arms.

I could use exiting holes in the loader but it would have meant some pretty elaborate bracketing to do it. DId you ever stare at a problem for a long time, see all kinds of difficult solutions and then the light bulb goes off and you think, "what took me so long to figure this out? It's simple!" ?

I took a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/4 steel, cut two pieces 6 inches long (could have been shorter) bent and drilled two holes as shown, drilled one 1/4 hole in the loader arm spacer and was done.

cut, bent and drilled:

Web%20mirrorassembly.jpg

1/4" hole drilled in loader spacer and everything painted and mounted:

Web%20mirrorclose.jpg

the view from the cockpit:

Web%20mirrorsrear.jpg

Compact, unlikely to get snagged in the woods.

Web%20mirrorsfront.jpg

I don't know if all Mahindra loaders have the slanted spacer in the loader mount but it works real well here.

/ Mirrors for my 3016 #2  
Good stuff! It's not quite the configuration/solution that I need for my rig but, as you've said, you stare at a problem long enough and the light bulb comes on.

I too, as a temporary remedy, have settled on a bicycle mirror off of my right FEL arm (we drive on the left over here). I'm sure that a permanent answer will come to me... which raises the question; why are mirrors not an option for SCUTs and CUTs?

/ Mirrors for my 3016 #3  
Nice!!!!

10 years ago I thought it was stupid to add mirrors, just look over your shoulder.....

Now I have mirrors. :)

/ Mirrors for my 3016 #4  
Good stuff! It's not quite the configuration/solution that I need for my rig but, as you've said, you stare at a problem long enough and the light bulb comes on.

I too, as a temporary remedy, have settled on a bicycle mirror off of my right FEL arm (we drive on the left over here). I'm sure that a permanent answer will come to me... which raises the question; why are mirrors not an option for SCUTs and CUTs?

In Southwest Asia tractors are used on the public roadways a lot. They almost always have mirrors. Most tractors have vertical exhaust. They usually clamp the mirror to the exhaust stack....

If you look closely you can see his mirror clamped to the exhaust about six inches below the top. :)

kabul city7.JPG