Misplaced Dreams

/ Misplaced Dreams #1  

Doofy

Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
I recently had an epiphany and that I missed the boat for a very interesting career. The skills and aptitude of a Machinist that is good at his craft is truly amazing. What they can machine out of a chunk of metal is art.

Our one and only local Machine Shop will soon be gone due to the ageing owner and I doubt if there is anyone else in the area that has the knowledge and skills to take over.

I'm to old to learn that trade but I am thinking about purchasing a Magnetic Drill so I can at least use annular cutters to drill holes in some of my heavy steel projects. No way to convert my puny benchtop drill press to use these cutters either. Twist drills are from the stone age compared to what an annular cutter can do. I so enjoy dreaming.

/ Misplaced Dreams #2  
   / Misplaced Dreams #4  
We had a similar happening in my area.
A small machine/welding shop owned by two brothers was a cornerstone of the community and a Godsend to the local farming community. Going into their shop was like stepping back fifty years in time with a collection of beautifully maintained machinery and equipment. Those guys could fix or weld most anything that came through the door.
When word surfaced they were closing up shop it was like a death notice to the tire area.
As luck would have it at the last minute, a younger guy with mechanical talent and welding skills purchased the shop and the business continues.

Despite the computer age, guys (and gals) can make a good living with hands on skills and a good work ethic.

B. John

/ Misplaced Dreams #5  
I recently had an epiphany and that I missed the boat for a very interesting career. The skills and aptitude of a Machinist that is good at his craft is truly amazing. What they can machine out of a chunk of metal is art.

Our one and only local Machine Shop will soon be gone due to the ageing owner and I doubt if there is anyone else in the area that has the knowledge and skills to take over.

I'm to old to learn that trade but I am thinking about purchasing a Magnetic Drill so I can at least use annular cutters to drill holes in some of my heavy steel projects. No way to convert my puny benchtop drill press to use these cutters either. Twist drills are from the stone age compared to what an annular cutter can do. I so enjoy dreaming.

You're never too old to learn anything if it interests you. Maybe too old to make a living at it, but never to old to learn.

/ Misplaced Dreams #6  
I can relate, we had a welding-fabrication shop in town for decades, they did great work and got me and many others out of jams. It was a sad day when the owner retired, but I went by the shop and found a new owner there, much of their work is on site, but was fortunate to find them at the shop and got my job done up right.

/ Misplaced Dreams
Our Machinist is from back East and has been here for 40-50 years. He has work from all over the State so I'm hoping someone else will step up and provide that service.

/ Misplaced Dreams #8  
Doofy, another dreamer here; here's some of the things I do with my mag drill

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...-table-build-6.html?highlight=mag+drill+table

And I have a milling machine (no lathe yet, need to make some room first) - I have a rotary table and an angle table for the mill, saves having to re-tram the mill after oddball jobs - so the mag drill does all the "basic" stuff, the mill handles more exotic jobs.

Another of my "eventual" projects is to use the mag drill to power a line bore setup, my Case backhoe needs some TLC on the obbed out hoe bushings (as does the loader's main pivot pin - those should be "fun" projects :rolleyes: ... Steve

/ Misplaced Dreams #9  
You're never too old to learn anything if it interests you. Maybe too old to make a living at it, but never to old to learn.

True. My father got into machining in his 70's, and enjoyed the craft until his passing at 80. I miss going over to his house and being shown his latest project.

/ Misplaced Dreams
Doofy, another dreamer here; here's some of the things I do with my mag drill

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...-table-build-6.html?highlight=mag+drill+table

And I have a milling machine (no lathe yet, need to make some room first) - I have a rotary table and an angle table for the mill, saves having to re-tram the mill after oddball jobs - so the mag drill does all the "basic" stuff, the mill handles more exotic jobs.

Another of my "eventual" projects is to use the mag drill to power a line bore setup, my Case backhoe needs some TLC on the obbed out hoe bushings (as does the loader's main pivot pin - those should be "fun" projects :rolleyes: ... Steve

Very unique and interesting setup. I can buy a Mag Drill as cheap as a decent drill press and would be more useful on heavy steel projects. Don't think I'm smart enough to figure out a Milling Machine.