Mix oils in Kohler engine

/ Mix oils in Kohler engine #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I've got a Kohler 22 HP engine in my Craftsman Garden Tractor. After changing the oil, I always have an odd 1/2 or 2/3 quart left over. I'd like to use these up, but half of what I have is 5W-30 and the other half is 10W-30. Are there any problems with mixing these? When mixed, do the properties end up being the average of the two?

The manual say use 10W-30 above 32F, and 5W-30 below 32F. I change the oil once a year. Here in Vermont, the temperature swings above and below freezing for a good bit of the year, so their guidance is pretty worthless. I'm always wondering which to use. I lean towards the 5W-30, expecting that I'll just burn a bit more oil when it's hot out. Any thoughts on this?

John Mc

/ Mix oils in Kohler engine #2  
John, I'm assuming you're talking about the same brand of oil; just different weights or viscosity. And I wouldn't worry a bit about mixing those. And yep, I'd probably go with the 5W-30 as you mentioned.

/ Mix oils in Kohler engine #3  
I would be inclined to top off the crankcase with either oil. The properties of oil being that close is minute. It's not like a 20W-50 vs 5W-30.

It's better to put the wrong oil in vs not putting ANY oil in!

/ Mix oils in Kohler engine #4  
Sounds like a recipe for some 7.5W-30! I wouldn't worry about it at all.. use it as you need to.

/ Mix oils in Kohler engine
Thanks all for the coments. I'm off to mix up a batch of 7.5W-30.

John Mc