Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #61  
I know for a fact that used petroleum oil works great in a waste oil heater. You just gotta filter it.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #62  
I don't have any drain oil but if I did I would
add a quart some sea foam for every 5 gallons
of diesel I put in the tractors tank and wouldn't
be afraid of any problems I only use quality filters
I am not a wally world fram filter man!
Like it was said before oil straight out of the tractor
and that added to the diesel tank on your tractor you should have no problems as it is getting filtered again. Don't quote me but I believe that a fuel filter will filter fined stuff than an oil filter!
When they can filter McDonald deep fryer oils to burn in a diesel engine with no problems what makes you think that drain oil will harm a diesel engine?????
Do some research and you will find out you forgot to
engage your brain before opening your mouth!

ADD SEA FOAM TO YOUR MOTOR OIL!

willy

Last edited:
   / Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #63  
Kubota B2601

Diesel consumption should be around 1/4 gallon per hour.

We went to $6.40 a gallon today

$6.40 / 4 = $1.60 per hour for diesel.
That seems low (1/4gph)

My 24 hp Yanmar burns 1/2 Gph but either way, not worth the aggravation in my book.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #64  
Diesel itself becomes contaminated and dirty overtime due to the bacterial sludge that can build up.
NOT if you keep the moisture out of it!

I've run many hundreds of gallons of home heating oil that's MANY years old, I've never had even one problem with bad fuel in any way, and I don't add additives to my fuel either.

SR

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #65  
That seems low (1/4gph)

My 24 hp Yanmar burns 1/2 Gph but either way, not worth the aggravation in my book.
MAYBE 1/4 GPH at or near idle, with NO load!

My tinkertoy Kubota burns a half gallon per hour with a load on the pto, and even more if it has a heavy load on the pto.

SR

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #66  
It’s been said before and I’ll say it again, it all depends on the engine. High pressure common rail? Much more sensitive to dirty fuel and the parts are very expensive. An older mechanical injection with out the higher pressure, much more forgiving.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #67  
Mixing used engine oil in with diesel is absolutely a terrible idea on a Tier 4 tractor with any sort of exhaust catalyst/filter. Burning the oil will cause the catalyst/filter to plug up with ash and other residue that cannot be burned off, which will destroy the catalyst/filter. The motor oils used for lubricating these engines had to be specially formulated (API CJ-4, CK-4) to minimize this catalyst/filter plugging just from the engine's own oil consumption. I have heard quite a few reports of on-road diesel engines ruining emission components simply from the engine's own oil consumption if the engine uses a relatively large amount of oil. Now if you mixed oil in with the diesel fuel, you would be burning far more oil than an engine that merely has high oil consumption would burn, so I would expect pretty short lifespan of the emissions components.

I wouldn't run fuel with unknown qualities through a diesel engine with any high pressure injection system, either common rail or unit-injected. The tolerances of the injection components are small and they are highly stressed with dealing with the high-pressure fuel.

Diesel engines with low pressure mechanical injection systems and no exhaust catalysts or filters would likely tolerate some quantity of well filtered used motor oil mixed in with the diesel. How much of a mix depends on the characteristics of the engine as well as the resulting concoction (cloud point, flash point, viscosity, cetane, lubricity, etc.)

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #68  
Years ago when I was running three trucks with CAT 3406B engines with direct injection, I had a setup that I used to pump the drain oil into the fuel tanks. I installed quick couplers in the drain plug holes, and used a pump with a lube filter on it, so that if there was any debris in the bottom of the oil pans it would get filtered out. I made sure there was at least 100 gallons of diesel in the tank before I pumped it in, so it was about a 10% mix. In the 5 or 6 years I did it, we never had any fuel system problems.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #69  
Hmmmm, then why is diesel blended to make BIO-DIESEL fuels then?
There's an interesting legal reason for that. Legal, not technical.

Biodiesel is required to have a minimum tiny percent of petroleum diesel in it so it won't be classified under food-grade transport safety rules but rather, petro-fuel transport rules. I suspect petroleum industry lobbying was the source of that.

/ Mixing used oil with diesel in the tractor. #70  
Speaking of which.. Death Valley yesterday:
Don't go there now. People die this time of year.

We were unable to get up the long grade out of DV in an old Volvo, in Easter Week. This Scandinavian car would overheat halfway up even running the heater full blast for additional cooling. Had to wait until late at night when it got down to 95 or so. BMW was there at the time, running stress tests on a new model up that grade, fast. They seemed to do ok.

Look up the Death Valley Germans for the most harrowing account of failure to survive in DV. They were given an obsolete map and died miles from help.

DV is gorgeous early in the spring when the wildflowers bloom. Any other time, forget it.

Added - just for fun: Grandpa near his first job at Keene Wonder Mine, Death Valley, after graduating UC with a mining degree. The mine only ran in the cooler months. He's near what is still the principal intersection in DV.
Death Valley  1909.jpg

Last edited: