Mowing MMM Mower Lesson

/ MMM Mower Lesson #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I took off my MMM for the 1st time a couple of days ago. So the mower has been in place since it was delivered - - it has seen a lot of non-mowing tasks since April of '03 & just over 320 hours of operation.
I don't recommend others follow in my footsteps here. First of all it was the dickens to get off. I could not get the collar on the drive shaft to slide back - - I corralled a neighborhood high school kid who had difficulty, but got it off, finally.
I started cleaning up the MMM today. The bad news is that I had been missing several grease fittings that I did not know existed when I lubed the deck. In my ignorance, I thought I was getting everything when I got the 3 spindles for the blades. Wrong - - there are a total of 8 zerks on the 60" MMM, including one on each end of the drive shaft. Made me feel pretty stupid to see that I had been missing that many grease fittings.
It's probably covered in the manual, but guess I missed it. Oh well, now I know.

/ MMM Mower Lesson #2  
Thats what this message board is all about. You made the mistake and maybe saved others from doing the same. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ MMM Mower Lesson #3  
??? What sort of tractor do you own? If it is a BX, I've struggled lots and have it nearly figured out now. Post back and I'll reply with my own version of the secret MMM takeoff/install.

/ MMM Mower Lesson
Dave in Col - - yes, it's a BX22. By all means, please share what you've learned about MMM tricks.

/ MMM Mower Lesson #5  
would like to know also.
i leave my deck on more than i should because of the hassle.
i usually lift up the tractor a little w/the backhoe outriggers
and the loader after dropping it to the ground or sliding it under.

lets hear another way.

/ MMM Mower Lesson #6  
I used to HATE taking off my MMM. Now I do it from the comfort of my concrete pad in front of the garage. On concrete, it rolls out form under the BX easily.
Then I go get the FEL, attach my chains to the wheel mounts on the MMM, and easily tote it to my storage spot.
I no longer dread this, takes about ten minutes.
Easy as pie, and took me about a year to get the clue. Try it!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ MMM Mower Lesson #7  
Now that you have your MMM off take a close look at that collar on the end of the PTO shaft. When you pull it toward the mower it should catch. That's for easy removal and best of all INSTALLATION. When you put your mower back on, get that collar to catch in the open position. You can slowly move the belt to line up the PTO shaft with the tractor. I usually clean out all of the grass and spray the underside with WD40. It makes clean up the next year much easier.

/ MMM Mower Lesson #8  
<font color="blue"> By all means, please share what you've learned about MMM tricks.
</font>

I take the deck off my BX2200 a lot.

The thing that I found helps me the most, since I don't have a loader to lift the front up with, is to drive the front wheels up on a couple short pieces of 4" thick wood.

Having that extra height makes pulling the deck out from under the tractor(and putting it back) MUCH easier. Also gives a little easier access to the driveshaft for removal/installation.