Mobile home

/ Mobile home #21  
Well then he shouldn't have anything to worry about if he ever leaves FL and moves to Iceland...! :laughing:

now go take your meds...!

Your point is?
I never suggested that I was entertaining any thoughts of moving to Iceland.
Although I did live there very briefly many years ago.
Very interesting place.

/ Mobile home #22  
Hello and thank you for your time.

I am considering placing a mobile home on my property. I have been given the authority by the county. I know nothing about mobile homes.

I have been told it needs to be 1976 or newer, has to have a title, minimum of 500 sq ft, has to be hud approved and wind loads of 2-3 whatever that means?

Can someone educate me on mobile homes? Anything you can tell me would be more than I currently know.

To be clear, exactly what type of home are you looking at. Trailer, modular, etc...

/ Mobile home
To be clear, exactly what type of home are you looking at. Trailer, modular, etc...
Trying to educate myself on the types available. how do I know its hud approved, whats windloads of 2-3 mean exactly ( thats what I was told to look for by county ) Do all mobile homes have titles ect ect.

I am considering it as temp quarters until I am able to build my home.

/ Mobile home
I see no that this will not work for me. Thanks to everyone that replied. Too much investment for a temporary living quarter

/ Mobile home #25  
Most people consider a mobile home as a trailer. It is built in a factory, set on wheels and trucked to a site. There it is blocked up, and the wheels are removed. It can easily be moved at a later time.

A modular home is usually built in a factory in pieces. The sections are trucked to a site and placed on a foundation. Generally, they are not intended to moved again.

I agree. Manufactured home is the term preferred now days to what we call mobile homes. Titled and taxed as personal property like a car.
Modulars are generally considered permanent and treated as real property by states like a stick built home. Both have come a long way in the last couple of decades if you are willing to pay for the upgrades.

/ Mobile home #26  
Can be a great value. Wife and I bought our first piece of property with a 73 model 12x60 in 1979. We lived in it until 1993. It had 2x2 studs in the inner walls and particle board floors. I would crawl on top and smear cool seal on the roof every few years.

As flimsy as it was it never felt unsafe in high winds and sat through the worst hurricane our area has ever had in 85.

/ Mobile home #27  
As a counterpoint to some of the above posts....

I've been living in a doublewide for the past 30 years now. Never had one leak in all those years. Or other problems that I can think of. 6" exterior walls with what at the time was called the "Alaska" insulation package, and triple pane windows. Factory-installed wood-burning stove which last year I changed out to a pellet stove. A few years ago the original shingles on the roof were starting to curl so I had a full metal roof put on so I'd not have to worry about it again in my lifetime. And this year I changed out all the original faucets for fancy new ones - also the frost-free sillcocks in the outside walls.

And there is NO particle board in this house of mine. Inside walls are sheetrock. I think some folks are talking about old single wide mobile homes built in the 60s and 70s when they talk about the construction. Also - mine sits on a full basement. Concrete walls/floor with I-beams to support the house. Lots of storage - and if ever I do have to do something with the plumbing like changing out the sillcocks, I can do it on a stepladder instead of lying on my back in a crawl space.

We have been in our double wide 16 years.
Very similar experience to what you have.
6" wall studs, full basement, never any leaks.
Been quite happy with our house. (manufactured home)

/ Mobile home #28  
My old boss and her husband bought a modular factory built home. It's double wide. They had a full basement poured. Her husband is an engineer and figured out the requirements for 1 large steel beam to span the entire width. On arrival day, the crane set the beam into the basement, then both halves of the house. They now have a full basement with NO supports in the middle anywhere. Clear span. Very nice use of space.

On the subject of cost, they had a lot of upgrades put in. They put pencil to paper and it cost the same amount as a stick built house. About the only difference was the house was done in 4 weeks VS months for stick built.

/ Mobile home #29  
Same here...double wide on a full foundation. Axles and tongues removed and on a full foundation is considered a permanent residence. We picked and ordered our home based on several standard structural specs etc that are typically considered upgrades with some manufacturers. 2 x 6 exterior walls, 2 x 4 roof trusses, floor joists, heavier subfloor, windows, furnace, on and on. Well insulated and go through about 1/3 of heating oil each year compared to most people i talk to with standard built homes of roughly same square footage of living space. Built and moved in our place 21 years ago. We did have 1 leaking skylight and replaced skylights, and replaced shingles with metal roofing while adding on a 10' x 17' front porch last year. Otherwise no leaky pipes or any other issues. Still going strong. Starting out it was what we could afford at the time. In a few short years when the kids are done with college and out on their own and its just the wifey and I here again, it will suit us well. Much better than an oversized and mostly empty house. Also, when we are old and frail, everything we need is on one level and won't have to battle the stairs for daily routines. Otherwise the basement can be easily accessed from ground level on the backside of the house if needed.

/ Mobile home #30  
I agree. Manufactured home is the term preferred now days to what we call mobile homes. Titled and taxed as personal property like a car.

This is something that's going to vary considerably from state to state, even from one town/city within the state to another. Here a mobile home (what used to be called a house trailer) is just considered a house. Some municipalities require them to be in designated parks, others will allow them on any property as long as it meets requirements (lot size, setbacks, etc.).

Not sure what you mean by "taxed as personal property", do you mean property taxes or something else?