Modifying a tandem disk

/ Modifying a tandem disk #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
Anyone had any experience changing the width of a Tandem Disk? I would like to narrow a 12' or 14' Tandem down to 10'.

An 8' is too small and I may have trouble pulling a 12'. I found an old 10' that someone wanted $3500 for, felt like that was more than I wanted to pay for an old disk. Ran across a 12' JD for $400 today on craigslist near me. So I was thinking about getting it, trying it and if it was to much, cutting it down to a 10'.

My tractor is a NH TN70D with 51.6 hp at the drawbar (from tractor data)

All thoughts are welcome and will be appreciated.

Tim

/ Modifying a tandem disk #2  
Just simply remove a disc blade or two until you are at the cut width you want but overall the disc will still be a 12' just not cutting 12'

/ Modifying a tandem disk
Huh, I had in mind to reduce the width of the entire plow but I may not need to.

/ Modifying a tandem disk #4  
If you have any 12ft gates, you may have to narrow the frame, too. :)

Bruce

/ Modifying a tandem disk #5  
Put small blades on the end gangs to just cover the trench left from rear gangs.

/ Modifying a tandem disk #6  
What John said.

Might try to remove the outside pan from each disc gang. If your disc is 9 inches between pans, it will remove 18 inches in width, plus your weight per disc has increased slightly which is a positive.

Leave the original spacers. You may need to replace the pan with a large washer in the missing pan locations to mimic the pan thickness for each disc removed...depends on how much thread and adjustment remaining on each shaft.

/ Modifying a tandem disk
Thanks guys,

Actually, I would still prefer to narrow the entire plow to 10' overall width. Mostly to make it easier to go through narrower gates and also to make it easier to road the tractor and plow (not so much hanging out on either side). This plow will be used mostly for food plots and smaller fields.

Tim

/ Modifying a tandem disk #8  
Is your tractor 4x4? Are your rear tires loaded? if it is that disc might not be bad depending on soil conditions, more HP would be nice but weight is gonna be your friend.

/ Modifying a tandem disk #9  
Thanks guys,

Actually, I would still prefer to narrow the entire plow to 10' overall width. Mostly to make it easier to go through narrower gates and also to make it easier to road the tractor and plow (not so much hanging out on either side). This plow will be used mostly for food plots and smaller fields.

Tim
I suppose it’s dependent on the frame of the unit. Photos would help un-engineer it.

/ Modifying a tandem disk #10  
Save yourself a lot of headache.

Sell the disc and buy smaller...